Pulled pork question

Started by RAF128, November 23, 2010, 07:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

This weekend it's Gray Cup weekend.   For those that don't know it's the CFL (Canadian Football League) Championship game.   And OUR team is in it again.   Hopefully our boys can count to 12 this year ;).   Inside joke for Canadians :D.    Anyway I want to do some pulled pork and don't want to tend the smoker.  There's hunting to do this weekend too.   I was thinking of smoking for 4 hrs and then finishing it in the oven.    Your thoughts.   When temp and how long.   My wife thought about putting it in a slow cooker but there wouldn't be any smoke flavor and the slow cooker is likely too small.

Smokeville

That has always worked for me. Maybe 6 hours of smoke if you can fit it in. Then transfer to a roasting pan, put in maybe a cup of apple cider vinegar, and put the lid on. Oven at 300-325F or so.

It depends on how much meat when it will be done but if I put 3 butts (12lb total) in that are hovering around 160F, they should be done in a couple of hours. Watch they don't dry out just in case the fat layer is thin.

Then follow the normal rest and relaxation (for the meat, not you) and pull.

Rich

classicrockgriller

Smoke it with the time of smoke u like.

Then either at a low oven temp 210* or higher 250*

depending on when you want to eat, but allow time for FTC.

IMO the FTC makes the Butt!

classicrockgriller

You need to get the IT* up to 195* plus before FTC.

kinyo

Our team is in again too! Go Montreal Go Montreal !!! ;D

lumpy

If you finish in the oven, the entire house will smell like the smoked pork roast.
I like the smell but my wife does not. Last time I finished roasts and sticks in the oven she was away for a week and could still smell it when she got back :o

I have been looking at buying a propane camp stove to finish my meat outside.

KyNola

I have finished it in the house oven many times.  Put it on a rack in a roasting pan.  I try to hold the temp to around 225 in the house oven and I don't cover it with foil or a lid and I don't put any liquid in the pan.  Sets a real nice bark that way.

SoCalBuilder

What the Monkey says! FTC is what it is all about.

OU812

Heck, why dont you just finish them hunks of meat in the smoker?

After the smoke time is done dump the water pan, fill with HOT water, close the door and go huntin.

By the time the smoke is done the cabnet temp should have steadied out and you are just a cookin any way.

RAF128

I have thought about doing the whole thing in the smoker.    That's the way I always do it but it's an overnight thing.   I can certainly add water in the morning before I leave by could be gone the better part of the day and I'd hate to have it finish and I'm not there.   
I picked up a butt this morning and it's a 10 lber.   I'm thinking that in this case I should finish it inside.   Smoke shouldn't be a problem.   I'll just turn up the fan in the range hood.    My wife thought we should use the slow cooker but then there wouldn't be any smoke flavour.

Slamdunk

Hey Rider fan, maybe you should play this for the green and white !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-YcBVEnLT8

RAF128

Quote from: slamdunk on November 24, 2010, 06:36:31 PM
Hey Rider fan, maybe you should play this for the green and white !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-YcBVEnLT8
:).  Actually during the summer there was a suggestion made.   Throw a box of beer into the huddle.   If you don't get one, GET OFF THE FIELD.

RAF128

Yesterday was pulled pork day.    I wasn't sure how long the 10lb pork butt would take in the Bradley and had other things that need to be done so, no long smoke.    I was up a 5, took the butt out of the fridge to warm a bit and pre heated the Bradley.   At 6 the meat went in and started the smoke rolling, 4 hrs of apple.    At 1015 it was taken in to the house, put in a roaster with a cup of cider vinegar and baked at 300 for a while.    As the temp rose quicker than expected, I dropped the temp to 250.   It was done with plenty of time to spare so FTCed.   When it was time to pull, found it pulled just fine but there wasn't any real bark to speak of.    It tasted good but not like the other I've made before.   IMO the bark really adds to the flavor.    The company for the game all thought it was great, but they'd never had it before so don't know any better ;).   Anyway next time it'll be done they whole time in the Bradely.