SamuelG

Here it goes:

4.5lbs of top round Beef
38g of kosher salt
45g of Brown Sugar
8g of Black Pepper
6g of Cure#2
*Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman

All ingredients were ground in a coffee mill and divided in 2 by weight.  The first cure was applied on 11-7-2010 and vacuum packed.  Second cure on 11-14-20 until 11-20-2010.  Meat was divided in two.

#1 was tied with butchers twin and cold smoked for 10 hrs @ 80F with the door open in blocks of ice.  What a pain that was.
#2 was wrapped in cheese cloth and tied with butchers twine.

All four pieces are hanging @ 60F and 70% RH since 11-20-2010.  Weight loss has been the following:

11-20-2010 #1 1070g #2 950g ( Starting Weight )
11-22-2010 #1 1021g or 4.6% loss #2 939g or 1.2% loss
11-28-2010 #1 945g or 11.7% loss #2 868g or 8.6% loss

Any comments or concerns would be great.  Thanks

SamuelG
SamuelG

classicrockgriller

BuyLowSellHigh

Same comment ... WOW!

So how much final weight loss are you looking for ?
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

jiggerjams

SamuelG

Thanks for the WOW.

I'm looking for a very firm or about 35% as that seems to be the magic number.

The two in cheese cloth have begun to develop white mold ( small spots ).  I'm getting concerned and might unwrap them and apply a white vinegar solution.  This white mold is supposed to be good... Can anyone provide some advice with this?

The other two that were smoked smell and look amazing.

From the initial picture above where the cross cut of the meat can be seen, can anyone guesstimate if the cure made it into the meat?

Thanks

SamuelG
SamuelG

SamuelG

SamuelG

Habanero Smoker

Looks good. Is that a version of his Bresaola. His Bresaola recipe was one of my first dry cured meats, and it came out great. Stay with the 30% - 35% loss in green weight. I went to 40%, and it was a little more "tougher" then I would have liked.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SamuelG

Habanero Smoker,

It is a version that I was trying to make similar to Spanish " Cecina ".  Did you get any mold?  ???

Thanks.

SamuelG
SamuelG

ExpatCanadian

Looks great!  I haven't tried any beef yet, but it's on the list.  So much Charcuterie...  so little time  ;)

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: SamuelG on December 01, 2010, 05:00:53 AM
Habanero Smoker,

It is a version that I was trying to make similar to Spanish " Cecina ".  Did you get any mold?  ???

Thanks.

SamuelG

I got quite a bit of mold, because the humidity was averaging close to 90% RH. Just keep washing the mold off with either a vinegar water solution, or a salt water solution. I prefer 75% to 80% RH. I had to open the door frequently and fan until the humidity dropped. At this time I don't want to cut or drill any holes in my cabinet to install intake and exhaust vents, because I also use it as a refrigerator when not curing. I now have a small dehumidifier, but haven't tried it out. I was hoping to have some dry cured sausage and meat around Christmas, but the way it looks I won't be getting back to my dry curing of sausage and meats until February.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SouthernSmoked

Dang!!! Enough said!

Maybe not, WOW!

Awesome!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

SamuelG

As long as they end up some where between "dang" and "wow" I'll be happy as can be with my first attempt. ;)
SamuelG

BuyLowSellHigh

Well, from your start I would say you will finish beyond "Wow!".

I'm jealous.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

SamuelG

12/1/2010 #1 16.2% #2 13.2% loss

I have begun to get some white mold, but that is supposed to be a good sign so I left it in on #2. 

I'm not sure the beef cured long enough, but only a few more weeks and we will know.

The smell is amazing.  It reminds me of Spain when I use to go buy the Iberico with my Dad.  The pork loins that I used the same recipe and time are almost done @ 30% loss.  Here is a pic

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my posts.  If there are any questions or concerns I'll try to answer them.  Thanks

SamuelG
SamuelG

smokeNcanuck

I can't wait for you cut in to some of this stuff!!  It looks really really good, got my mouth watering just looking at it.
Wish I had that smell o vision monitor.
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It