First Attempt to cure whole muscle

Started by SamuelG, November 30, 2010, 05:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamuelG

I guess I need a slicer.  Any suggestions on a good but economical one?
SamuelG

Habanero Smoker

They are looking good. I can't tell by the picture, but if that is a fuzzy white mold you should clean it off. The powdery white mold is what you should be looking for and is beneficial, all others should be cleaned off the surface.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SamuelG

Thanks Habanero Smoker,

I'll take it off today.  The pieces that I smoked the most have very little to no mold.  I guess next time I'll smoke them a lot more.

SamuelG
SamuelG

Habanero Smoker

It's odd, smoke is suppose to inhibit the growth of bacteria, but like you, I smoked my bresaola and I had all sorts of problems with surface mold.

Your cured meats are looking really good. I can't wait to hear about the finished product.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

SamuelG

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 03, 2010, 01:49:41 AM
It's odd, smoke is suppose to inhibit the growth of bacteria, but like you, I smoked my bresaola and I had all sorts of problems with surface mold.

Your cured meats are looking really good. I can't wait to hear about the finished product.

The ones I smoked have the least mold which seems to form around the butchers twine.... but still very litle mold.

The ones with no smoke that were wrapped in cheese cloth were developing a lot of mold and I had to remove it to clean with vinegar/water.

I'm also developing a powder like white mold that is supposed to be very desirable ... Like salami.

Next batch I'll use some type of casing. It would need to be very large one which I'm not sure where or what to buy.  Any suggestions?
SamuelG

Habanero Smoker

For whole muscle meat beef bungs or middles will work, but for whole muscle the protein lined collagen casings are easier to work with. For dry cured whole muscle, or dry cured sausage when using collagen casings you should only used the protein lined collagen casings. The protein will help the casings adhere to the meat, if you use regular collagen casings the casing will not stick to the meat, as it dries and shrinks. This can form air pockets in which bacteria can grow underneath the casings.

I purchase my casings from Sausage Maker:
Protein Lined Collagen Casings
Beef Casings Listed Among Natural Casings

I
         don't
                   inhale.

SamuelG

Thanks Habanero Smoker,

I will place an order this weekend with your suggestions.  I'm thinking of going with the 60mm for the pork loin  and a the beef bung for the bresaola/coppa.  As soon as this first batch is finished I'll make the corrections needed and go for number two.  The weather is nice and cool for Miami so i need to get as much done as possible.  I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

SamuelG
SamuelG

Habanero Smoker

You are welcome. Your posts have gotten me more motivated to get back on working on my dry cure sausages and meats for this year.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

SamuelG

WOW!!!
;D
I wish you could give this tenderloin (pork) a try to get your expert opinion.  I cut into it at 33% loss and the taste is amazing although I like it drier.  I will continue to dry it till it hits 40% loss.  The center was in my opinion a different color than the rest.  I will post some pics as soon as tapatalk is working again.

Thanks to all those that helped me out.

SamuelG
SamuelG

SamuelG

SamuelG

SamuelG

If anyone can comment on the different color that you can see in the middle.

Thanks

SamuelG
SamuelG

SamuelG

Page 181 last paragraph of Charcuterie.." if the center still has a raw appearance....return to to drying box."

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

classicrockgriller

This is just awesome.

Has been fun to follow.

Thanks to you and Hab's.

Feel's like I'm just sitting there listening to you guys chat!

Habanero Smoker

With a 33% loss, it should have had a nice consistancy throughout. I would check it again at a 35% reduction, as I said earlier I did not like the texture at 40% loss for whole muscle, but for sausage I continue to use ≈40% reduction as a general guideline.

It's looking really good. You didn't have to deal with much mold. What was your average realtive humidity?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

SamuelG

Habanero Smoker,

The two pieces that got smoked have done exceptionally well with only one small dot of white mold.  The other too I've hade to wipe down to control it.

RH has been 72-75. I took out the salt tray and it hit 85 ( 1 day only )  Since then I have left it in.

Thanks. 
SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG