First Attempt to cure whole muscle

Started by SamuelG, November 30, 2010, 05:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caribou

Great job Samuel :)
This thread has been so interesting to follow.
Carolyn

SamuelG

Quote from: Caribou on December 28, 2010, 06:42:02 PM
Great job Samuel :)
This thread has been so interesting to follow.
Carolyn
Thanks Carolyn. :-)

Thanks. 
SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

BuyLowSellHigh

Gawd that looks good !

Very, very nice, Sam!
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Habanero Smoker

Nice bresaola. I believe I recommended not going over 35%. I went to 40% and got the same results you did, but I did not like the tough texture. But if you like it that way, it all that matters.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: SamuelG on December 28, 2010, 06:08:29 PM

If any one can help me out with casing suggestions for my next batch I would appreciate it.  I tried sone collagen ones on the pork butt that I'm drying, but they have separated completely.

Sam,

I'll pass this along with the caveat it would be experimental, but with sound precedent.

I asked the Drybag Steak folks about the potential for using the dry bags in dry aging cured meats.  Thea responded via email:

"In fact, this material started out its food application in the processing of Serrano ham in Spain.  Later, it was put to the test with several types of Italian dry sausage, and has had its greatest success with soppressato.  It is also used in smoking cheeses and meats, as it is smoke permeable.  Because of its flexibility, it does not work well with hung dry sausage unless they are reinforced with meat netting."

I then asked about temperature and humidity conditions where the material was used, she responded as follows:

"To be frank, I do not know the temperature or humidity conditions of the drying rooms where this material has been tested.  I can tell you that the tests were generally side-by-side with fibrous casing, so would suggest the warmer rooms where the pH of the meat is the most critical factor.  If you are using whole muscle meat, it is probably less of a question, so your idea to pancetta, bresaola or copa is probably of good starting point.  "

As best I can tell, the dry bag material was used as a synthetic casing.  I think it is worth a try, but again it is an experiment. 

I am planning to try dry bag aging of a pork loin and a pancetta cured piece of belly at refrigerator temps some time in the near future.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here