Canadian Bacon - Is it fully cooked and edible?

Started by smoker pete, November 30, 2010, 08:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker pete

Just finished smoking a 3 lb pork loin Canadian bacon.  Wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and will sit in the fridge for 2 days as per the Habanero Smoker Canadian Bacon - Dry Cure recipe http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?311-Canadian-Bacon

This is my first Canadian Bacon and it's a surprise for my wife who loves Canadian Bacon but is unaware that the pork loin I've been curing in the fridge for a week will be Canadian Bacon.  When I pulled it from the OBS she commented that it looked raw!  I pulled it at 145º and it smells wonderful.  Cured 6 days / soaked 30 min in water and sat in fridge overnight / 1 hr @ 125º / 2 hrs/20min @ 145º with 2 Apple to 1 Pecan and finished at 225º till IT reached 145º.

This may sound silly (I probably know the answer) but I need to ask just to be on the safe side:  "Is the Canadian Bacon fully cooked and edible now and/or after resting in the fridge for 2 days?"  When you fry it up with some eggs are you just warming it up?  Be gentle ... remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question  :) :-[

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

SouthernSmoked

Heck Yeah Pete, this thing looks awesome.

Let's Eat!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

seemore

Smokin Soon

It is good to go, but the quick trip to a cast iron pan will give you bacon nirvana!

Habanero Smoker

Yes! Fully cooked, and edible. But that shouldn't stop you from pan frying it with your eggs for breakfast.  :) I have also dipped it into beaten eggs, they coast with corn meal prior to pan frying.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

Like Hab's said... Fry that Baby up .

You are in for a treat!

smoker pete

Thanks for the quick replies and kind comments.  Glad to hear that it's good to go!  The DW will be in for a real treat when I fry up a couple of eggs over easy, toast, and a short stack of Canadian bacon  :) :P :P

10.5 ... Hawaiian Pizza is DW's favorite.  She loves the Canadian bacon and pineapple combo ... me, I give her the pineapple and wolf down the rest  ;D ;D  Gonna have to break out the cooking stone OR I guess I could use the SRG when it gets here to make some pizza ... Right?

Jim O

Looks good SP.

I usually pull mine at 145-150 and just heat up in the pan when doing the eggs.

Enjoy !

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

FLBentRider

Quote from: Jim O on December 01, 2010, 09:12:23 AM
I usually pull mine at 145-150 and just heat up in the pan when doing the eggs.

And I've learned it doesn't need much, just heating up, or it will get tough and chewy on you.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SL2010

Was the bacon salty it looks real good i always thought there was alot more to bacon

_Bear_

I threw a few slices of my Canadian Maple bacon in the frying pan tonight, WOW, it was good cold, but this stuff is addictive.
Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

smoker pete

Quote from: SL2010 on December 01, 2010, 04:51:06 PM
Was the bacon salty it looks real good i always thought there was a lot more to bacon

Don't know yet ... I'm actually trying to wait until tomorrow afternoon to find out cause then it will have rested in the fridge for 2 days like the recipe calls for.  I never knew that Canadian Bacon was a cured smoked pork loin.  Isn't this forum just wonderful ...  :) :)  I'll let you know when I slice into it.

smoker pete

Wowza ... That's one delissshhhhh chunk of pork magically transformed into Canadian Bacon!!  Can't see ever going back to store bought.  SL2010 - It is NOT salty at all.  The Wife was ecstatic when she got a taste.  Gonna try making an Hawaiian pizza tonight with the Canadian bacon.

The $$hot.  Thanks to Habanero Smoker for the recipe and everyone else who inspired me to make my first one but it won't be my last one  ;D ;D

OU812

Lookin gooood!

I'm thinkin Eggs Benedict... Oh Ya!