BBQ sauce beware!

Started by car54, July 20, 2005, 05:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

car54

I have not yet made my own bbq sauce yet. I have noticed that many commercially made sauces have smoke favoring added to them. I will not buy these, it seems to defeat the purpose of smoking your own meats. Read the labels.

MallardWacker

These are two of my favorites right know-I'm talking the stuff you get from Wal-Mart and not the fancy stuff.

Sweet Baby Rays-good for pulled pork-sweet.  I always send a bottle when I give a butt away.

Jack Daniels #6, if you need something cheap for chicken, dis is da stuff.  Not to sweet.  Lateley I have been finishing all my chicken on the grill after two hours of smoking with this and everyone has been loving it-even the inlaws.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

car54

Mallard, I agree with you on the grill. If you get a better end product by grilling or baking after smoking, that is the way to go.

Brad

nsxbill

Mallard,

Great minds think alike!  

Sweet Baby Rays is great.  I have 8 cases of 12 bottles stored downstairs. Check this price, Military Commissary  has a once a year 50% off sale.  I got it for $.45 a bottle.  Much better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

I also send a bottle home with pulled pork leftovers or even chicken wings.  It is a nice courtesy, and definitely enhances our reputation as Smoker Chefs without equal!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />Mallard,

Great minds think alike!  

Sweet Baby Rays is great.  I have 8 cases of 12 bottles stored downstairs........ <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">YOWZAAAAA.Man O' Man that there is a bunch of sauce.  Everyone I ever gave it to has loved it.  If you are into mustard type stuff, you probably won't care for it.  But it is great with butts.(so is that too many but(t)s in one sentence?)Kirk could get a hold of this...

Bill, I am still trying to imagine that many bottles of sauce in one house.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

nsxbill

For only $5.40 a case +a tiny surcharge, I thought it was a no brainer.  I really enjoy the sauce (Can't have any for 6 months), but I'm still smoking and passing it out!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Oldman

What I like to use when purchasing a sauce is Cattleman's regular. It has no smoke flavor added. They smokey is yuck!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />For only $5.40 a case +a tiny surcharge, I thought it was a no brainer.  I really enjoy the sauce (Can't have any for 6 months), but I'm still smoking and passing it out!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I hate to see a good sauce go bad! Can I help you out by sending you my address?[:D]

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br />What I like to use when purchasing a sauce is Cattleman's regular. It has no smoke flavor added. They smokey is yuck!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Cattleman's is a good sauce. I use it often. I know that it's what a lot of restaurants use.

JJC

I love Sweet Baby Ray's, but if you want to make something really simple and delicious, Jeff (BigSmoker) uses a 2:1 mix of ketchup and apple cider vinegar with a healthy dollop of course ground black pepper (to taste, of course).  Simple, cheap, and really goes great with pulled pork [:p]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

MallardWacker

BigSmoker is Like Olds, If he says it you can probably count on it.  I've tried these two gurus recipes and never thought I ever made mistake in doing so.  You GOTTA TRY Olds beans, man I'm wanting some bad....

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">BigSmoker is Like Olds, If he says it you can probably count on it. I've tried these two gurus recipes and never thought I ever made mistake in doing so. You GOTTA TRY Olds beans, man I'm wanting some bad....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Duck Man you are a hoot! You and those beans... LOL! Hey did you ever give that Raw Apple Cake a shot? Another thing that goes well on top of that cake is a tablespoon of fresh frozen vanilla yogurt. If you don't have any then a good quality ice cream.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">BigSmoker is Like Olds, If he says it you can probably count on it. I've tried these two gurus recipes and never thought I ever made mistake in doing so. You GOTTA TRY Olds beans, man I'm wanting some bad....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Duck Man you are a hoot! You and those beans... LOL! Hey did you ever give that Raw Apple Cake a shot? Another thing that goes well on top of that cake is a tablespoon of fresh frozen vanilla yogurt. If you don't have any then a good quality ice cream.

Olds

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Damn, first my shirt, now the keyboard . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

BigSmoker

Hey the raw apple cake is to die for.  I've been thinking about a gelato machine.  I bet some fresh soft serve ice cream and that cake with the warm camarel sauce is to die for[:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p].  This recipe belongs in the finest restaurants.  Try it you will like it[:D][8D].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

<b><u>HAIL COLUMBIA!!!!!</u> </b>

This weekend..RAW APPLE CAKE IT IS.  I have no NASCAR race or college visitaion planned.  I truethfully see a day of Mallards marinated chicken thighs, OLDS big time beans and Raw Apple Cake.  The in-laws[}:)]will be leaving for nearly three weeks, that would be a nice dinner for them on Sunday before they go.

But then again my last free weekend, some dip stick (the lower end of the gene pool type) decided to clean himself from the human race by going down the wrong way of I-30 at 3:30am and meeting two, count them two fully loaded semi's.  Freek'n drunk.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas