Meat temperatures and times

Started by wet coast smoke, July 25, 2005, 05:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wet coast smoke

I enjoy the BS Forum very much, find it very informative and entertaining too.
Would appreciate from the the veteran BS users, 1. your recommended targetted "internal" temperatures" of the meat. 2. The ideal smoker temperature;  and 3. The smoking time,  for one of average size of each, done separately. (IE one chicken, or one turkey breast etc) for the following:

Turkey breast
Whole Chicken
Chicken wings  (5 lbs)
Rack of Ribs
Pork Butt
Brisket
Beef Rib Roast
Pork Loin Roast

TIA
Wet Coast Smoke

Habanero Smoker

I don't like giving times, because there are too many variables; such as size of the food you are smoking, weather conditions etc. Also keep in mind I smoke at 200-210F.

I do a lot of poultry. These are the temperatures I use.
Chicken/Turkey breast: 150-155F
Whole Chicken/Turkey:  165F, measured at the deepest part of the thigh.
Chicken wings (5 lbs): It is not practical to get an internal temperature on wings. Check after about 3 to 4 hours. If wings have been separated into sections, use a bamboo skewer and prick the wings. When juices run clear they are done. Make sure you check several wings in various areas of the tray. You can use this method on whole wings also, or grab the tip of the wing. If it moves easily at the joint the wings are done.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

kjel

From my recent experience:
I've had 2 (2lb each) Tri tip in with 2 (6lb each) brisket flat in the BS.  The tri tip took 6hrs and the brisket 9 hrs to reach desired internal temp.  I usually try to fill up at least 2 of the baskets and not just cook one item at a time because the meat usually disappears too quickly.  Hope this helps.

Oldman

I'm with HS on this one. 95% of the time I cook--not only using the Bradley but most oven items--below the point of boiling water. For me that is a temp of less than 212 F.

Now there are items I do much hotter but not in the area of smoked foods.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

wet coast smoke

Thank you Old's, HS and Kjel for the info.
I am trying not to have to "reinvent the wheel" by trial and error. Having good success so far but a little tweeking needed. I respect the vast experience of the veterans here. Found some very good info on "Old's Place also. Regarding liquids forming and running out the bottem of the door (turkey and chicken as I recall), I now prop the front of the BS up about an eighth of an inch so that the liquids do not run out. I mop them up if any remaining after the BS has cooled.

Thanks again
WCS

Habanero Smoker

WSC;
Raising the front 1/8" sounds like a good idea. I may use that as a fail safe. As for myself, when I smoke poultry I prefer to open the top vent more (1/3 to 1/2 open). This will allow the moisture to escape, and you will see some improvement to the skin texture of poultry. After about 3 to 4 hours, when most of the moisture has evaporated I close the vent to 1/4 open.

Another member, Bill (nsxbill); only smokes his wings for a couple of hours, then finishes them off on the grill. I am going to try this the next time I do some wings.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)