Yet another 1st Brisket

Started by dylansdad, December 02, 2010, 10:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dylansdad

Well this first was actually my first Smoked Brisket.  my wife and I have stayed away from Briskets since every time we make them we lose patience and it ends up ruined.  Actually she runs out of patience and it gets ruined but you didn't hear that from me.

We had a 3.5lb brisket from the Grocery store: (which I forgot to take a picture of before I rubbed it down)

I used the recipe on the Bradley site for the rub.  However I let it sit in the rub for 18 hours before putting it on the smoker.

It cooked at the BPS' lowest setting (about 200-220 depending on the wind) from 5:30pm to 12:30am, untouched, not sprayed, not slathered, and alone.  I used Apple wood for 4 hours.

After 7 hours of cooking, it looked like this:

It stalled at 160-165, depending on where the thermometer was, for about an hour and a half and then took off like a rocket to finish cooking in 30 minutes.  I took it off at 188 degrees.

FTC'd it for about 3 hours and then put it in the fridge to try this morning.  It was damn good and we only tried the thin end.  Had it not been 4 am when I took it out of the cooler, I would have tried some then.  However, all I wanted to do was go back to sleep.  I wish I knew what it tasted like when it came out of the smoker and the cooler, but I'm glad I let the thing rest without draining all the fluids.  I do wish the BPS could cook at a little lower temperature, but oh well.

beefmann

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SouthernSmoked

Dang that thing looks awesome.

Great job!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Brisket Lover

Looks good!  Time to do a 10lber

FLBentRider

I've found that the smaller ones are harder to keep moist that the big ones. Especially with little or no fat cap.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Looks good from here.

If you find that to be a little dry for ya, shred it up and throw it in a small crock pot with some of your favorite BBQ sauce, warm it up, pile on a hogie bun and have some damn gooood beef sammies.

Brisket Lover

Apple juice works great too, but just a bit.

Pachanga

Quote from: dylansdad on December 02, 2010, 10:00:04 AM
FTC'd it for about 3 hours and then put it in the fridge to try this morning.  It was damn good and we only tried the thin end.  Had it not been 4 am when I took it out of the cooler, I would have tried some.  However, all I wanted to do was go back to sleep.  I wish I knew what it tasted like when it came out of the smoker and the cooler, but I'm glad I let the thing rest without draining all the fluids.  I do wish the BPS could cook at a little lower temperature, but oh well.

A smoke blackened slice off of the point with steam wafting toward the ceiling, hot fat drippings splashing on a plate; a juicy morsel of just cut brisket touches your tongue as a smokey aroma slaps you in the nose-----------

It would have tasted like a little slice of heaven.  4 am is just about the right time to crack open a cold one and dig in.

Nice smoke.

Pachanga

dylansdad

Quote from: FLBentRider on December 02, 2010, 01:03:41 PM
I've found that the smaller ones are harder to keep moist that the big ones. Especially with little or no fat cap.

It seemed dry when cold, but once I heated it up, it became moist again.  The fats/juices were just solidified at the fridge temp.  I really can't wait for dinner tonight.  As for the crock pot idea, I might do that for a couple of pieces just for the fun of it.

My next one will be much bigger.  For just two of us, I didn't want to get a 8-10 pounder for the first time.  I'm already planning on the next one being a much bigger piece of meat.  I think, now that I've got the hang of it all, every session will be with larger cuts of what ever it is.

Thanks guys for the input and kind words!

BuyLowSellHigh

That's a great looking brisket.  Nice work !
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

ronbeaux

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

Brisket Lover

Quote from: dylansdad on December 02, 2010, 02:17:56 PM
Quote from: FLBentRider on December 02, 2010, 01:03:41 PM

It seemed dry when cold, but once I heated it up, it became moist again.  The fats/juices were just solidified at the fridge temp.  I really can't wait for dinner tonight.  As for the crock pot idea, I might do that for a couple of pieces just for the fun of it.

My next one will be much bigger.  For just two of us, I didn't want to get a 8-10 pounder for the first time.  I'm already planning on the next one being a much bigger piece of meat.  I think, now that I've got the hang of it all, every session will be with larger cuts of what ever it is.

Thanks guys for the input and kind words!

should be great

OU812

If'n you cook up a big ole brisket and want to save some for later down the road just pack up in meal sized packages and throw in the freezer. Then when the craving hits ya warm up for a few min in temped, not boiling water.

They wont dry out on ya like this.

DTAggie

Great job DD.  Not sure why you want a lower temp than 200-220 though.  That is perfect for brisket.