Need some help on a brisket

Started by mitchf350, December 02, 2010, 08:01:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitchf350

Just bought my Obs today, got her seasond. I told my wife to pick up a brisket. She bought a small 2.5lb flat (I could eat the whole thing my self) This is going to be my first, I got my prep all figured out, but what temp should I smoke it at and how long. Im thinking 180* for 6hrs? Thanks

Brisket Lover

220 till it's done and around 4 hours of smoke.

Welcome to the greatest club on the interwebs.

DTAggie

220* until you hit an IT of 185*.  Then FTC a bit.  That small a brisket you better keep it on the top rack.

mitchf350

Haha I was off a bit huh. Guess 180* is the IT. What is FTC? Front top Center? Thanks for the quick help.

classicrockgriller

Foil/Towel/Cooler

Double wrap of foil

Wrap in towels

put in a room temp cooler (no ice ;D )

mitchf350

Oh boy Ive got some reading to do on this forum! Tons of terms and techniques ;D Thanks again

DTAggie

Don't fret Mitch. It's easy with Bradley.  What are you measuring your IT* with?

FLBentRider

If the brisket doesn't have a fat cap - with that size it is probably a "market trimmed" brisket - you may want to put a bacon wrap on top to keep it moist.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Brisket Lover

Quote from: FLBentRider on December 03, 2010, 06:37:18 AM
If the brisket doesn't have a fat cap - with that size it is probably a "market trimmed" brisket - you may want to put a bacon wrap on top to keep it moist.

Very good advice

mitchf350

Quote from: DTAggie on December 02, 2010, 09:14:53 PM
Don't fret Mitch. It's easy with Bradley.  What are you measuring your IT* with?
I have one of those thermometers with the probe. I can just run it through the vent and in to the meat. Im going to get this guy going at  about noon, just in case it takes a little longer its about 20* here in chicago.

squirtthecat

Good luck!   I'm to the south of you, near Springfield.

We're a few degrees warmer.