My Smoked Salmon Experiment

Started by dylansdad, December 02, 2010, 10:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dylansdad

So, first off lesson learned:  The BPS gets too hot with the main burner on low and not hot enough with only the puck burner on.

With that said, The salmon didn't turn out that bad.  Using the Kummok method I had the following results...

I started with 1 package of Wildly Farm Caught Chilean Salmon (since that's what Safeway had) and cut it into the stips seen below (this is actually them after Brining, since I forgot to take a fresh picture):

I didn't take a picture of them marinated/curing, but we all know what fish looks like in a liquid  ;D.  They sat in the Soy Sauce Brine for 12 hours exactly.

I then without washing them off, let them sit on the counter for 15 hours at around 63 degrees., I started getting worried about having fish sit out so I fired up the smoker.

Using Maple wood, I did the first hour and 45 minutes at 105 degrees.
This is the point that I realized that the BPS will not do temperature between 105 degrees and 210 degrees, so I did another 2 hours at 210(ish).
Once the fish hit 145 degrees I took it off. It looked like this:

Now, I know it's not what I started out to do since the careful temperature adjustments couldn't be made, but it's good.  Not the best, but good.  Next time?  No, there maybe not be a next time.  Since I can't get the lower temps, I don't know if I would try it again.  However, if I do, I would try the Teriyaki version.

Thanks for listening.

Carter

Hi Dylansdad,

I'm a little confused about your temperature issues.  Don't you have a slider on your smoker?  It's a bit finicky, but you raise the temperature slowly by sliding the slider over a period of several hours from "burner only" to "full power".  It usually takes me about 8 hours to cook my salmon.

After you finish up your "element only" smoke job, you just gently nudge the slider up say a half an inch or so and see what happens.  If the temperature rises you leave it, if it doesn't rise, you nudge it a little more.  It's a bit more art than science.

If there does happen to be a next time, you may want to try buying your salmon from a fish market instead of the grocery store.  I've bought from Costco before and have been a little disappointed.  Can't speak for Safeway.  It's a little more money, but well worth it in flavour and texture.

Carter

Carter

Oh and one more thing - I tend to air dry in the refridgerator.  I worry about leaving them on the counter just like you were.

FLBentRider

No slider on the propane smoker.

I've got one but I use it for butts and briskets when camping.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

dylansdad

Quote from: FLBentRider on December 02, 2010, 11:51:10 AM
No slider on the propane smoker.

I've got one but I use it for butts and briskets when camping.

:(

However, now that I know the limitations, I know what I shouldn't try.  For the most part, there is still a whole lot of food that can cook at the higher temps.  If that's my only complaint, than it isn't so bad.