OBS makes a brisket fool-proof and I'm the fool to prove it!

Started by SoCalBuilder, December 04, 2010, 11:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalBuilder

This is my second brisket and I approached it like I'd done a hundred. I was also going to smoke some almonds on the upper rack while I was at it. Started with an 8 lb'er from Costco that had a nice fat cap to it. Trimmed a bit and slopped the CYM on and rubbed it up with 'Rub with Love' Smoky BBQ Rub. I'll definitely be getting more of this stuff. Loaded up a combination of Special Blend and Hickory, heavy on the hickory for about 6 hrs of smoke.  220* looking for an IT of 185*, I pulled the almonds after about 4 hours and thought the IT was climbing pretty fast. Back out after the smoke to replenish the water, it's 11:30 p.m. and the IT tells me it's not going to let me get a full night's sleep. Backed it down to 200* and stumbled off to bed. My ET-7 doesn't have the range to get to my bedroom, so I climb into bed smelling of smoke and hoped for the best. Nature called at about 3 a.m. and a quick glance at the Maverick on the counter showed 181* on both probes. Close enough I figure. I stabbed it with a fork and it was the proverbial hot knife through butter. It felt like I may have over cooked it. Huh? Anyway, bleary eyed, FTM and back to bed. Up at 7 and unwrap the beef, expectations are low, I know it is just going to fall apart.

Turns out this brisket is miles ahead of my first, that I babied and worried over. So moist and cooked to perfection. Now I just need to not get cocky on my next one, but I will do a little better pre-planning as beauty sleep is one thing I can hardly do without :)

3 a.m. - Thank god for auto-focus!

After 4 hours of FTM - I'm a happy guy!

Ready to package.   

BuyLowSellHigh

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

SL2010

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

SoCalBuilder

Quote from: GusRobin on December 04, 2010, 12:23:51 PM
great job. How long did it take and at what temps?

Thanks Gus - It took about 10 hrs total and I started at 220* and about 6 hours in, I dropped it to 200 trying to delay the finishing time. It figures to about 1.25 hours per lb and I opened the door 3 or 4 times.

classicrockgriller

Who is this "Masked Man"?

WOW! Very Nice Brisket!

That is a pretty Bark too.

Brisket Lover

DarqMan

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

TestRocket

Reminder to self: It's time to smoke a brisket; it's time to smoke a brisket!

Very nice looking brisket you got there!  ;D

thirtydaZe

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

DTAggie