Chili Powder in a Rub

Started by jiggerjams, December 03, 2010, 04:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jiggerjams

Hi all,

When you read a recipe how do you interpret the ingredient Chili Powder? Is it ground chilies or is it the chili seasoning mix? I am making Jan's Rub.

I myself always take it as ground chili powder but I am interested in what others think.

Thanks,
Jigger

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SL2010

chili powder is what use i hope thats right it taste good

Habanero Smoker

Often you can tell by how the ingredient list is written. If it say Chili powder it refers to the spice blend mixture that contains ground chile peppers. If it says Chile Powder, it is referring to straight chile pepper.

Occasionally a person writing a recipe may tend to use the wrong version of the spelling. Though in Jan's Rub you can not tell, but if you are making a Chili, and the recipe calls for ground chile powder, an indication that the author is referring to ground chile peppers, would be the added ingredients such as cumin, oregano, paprika and garlic powder in fairly good size quantities - these are the basic ingredients for a chili powder.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

Good question JJ.  In the recipe for Jan's Dry Rub we used ground chili powder as the ingredient.

jiggerjams

Thanks for the feedback gents. I can go to bed less stupider tonight. ::)

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: jiggerjams on December 05, 2010, 05:39:08 PM
Thanks for the feedback gents. I can go to bed less stupider tonight. ::)

Wish I could say the same.    ;D
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

jiggerjams

I wish I was less stupider when I made it though. I used chile powder instead of chili powder (seasoning). Oh well still tastes great and gives me an excuse to play with food again.

iceman

Habs is spot on with this one. When I did the butt blast (oinker rub) recipe awhile back I might of spelled it wrong too. It is a "blend" of spices not the straight stuff.  :o  ;D
And yes, according to Ann I am the "Stupider King" of the world at times.  :D At least I have a title now.  ::)

BuyLowSellHigh

I agree that HabS is right on.  But, don't let Chilii Powder constrain you. Most chili powders are a mix of a ground chile powder plus cumin, onion and garlic powders, some add Mexican oregano, and the hot ones usually get their heat from cayenne.  The really good ones use Ancho, New Mexico, Chipotle and other great chiles, while the cheap ones use paprika.

Personally, I don't think much of commercial chili powders, so I use ingredients to get what I want.

Here is a "recipe" for one popular medium hot version:

2 tablespoons paprika
2 teaspoons oregano
1 1/4 teaspoons cumin
1 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
3/4 teaspoon onion powder

And here is a link to Alton Brown's version:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/abs-chili-powder-recipe/index.html

Point is, get some chile stuff and make some chili stuff, whatever you want it to be.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

jiggerjams

Thanks BLSH. I never buy seasonings unless I am far from home without my grinder. Then it is what ever it takes to kick it up