Started by SL2010, December 23, 2010, 04:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SL2010

I bought a pack of LEM cure gonna do some CB with this recipe

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?311-Canadian-Bacon

can i use that pack for the the cure thanks

classicrockgriller

Ingredients:

* Boneless pork loin (size will depend on how much bacon you want to make.)
    * 1 Tbl. Morton Tender Quick (or Basic Dry Cure) per pound
    * 1 tsp. dark brown sugar per pound
    * 1 tsp. garlic powder per pound
    * 1 tsp. onion powder per pound

Basic Dry Cure

This recipe/formula comes from Charcuterie, by Ruhlman and Polcyn, and I've found it to be a good substitute for Morton's Tender Quick. For cuts of meat 4 pounds or less, I measure the cure the same way I measured TQ. For cuts above 4 pounds I use 2.25 teaspoons of cure per pound.

Basic Dry Cure:

* 1 pound/450 grams pickling salt
    * 8 ounces/225 grams granulated sugar
    * 2 ounces/55 grams pink salt (InstaCure #1; or DQ Powder; or Prague Powder #1; or Cure #1; or TCM)
      Makes about 3 1/2 cups

Habs is saying you can use the pink salt to make into a equivalent of Morton Tender Quick.

You will have to add sugar and pickling salt with it.

Might want to read that and follow the links.

Habanero Smoker

It depends on what type of LEM's product you purchased. If you have the LEM's Cure that has the ingredients -of salt and sodium nitrite (6.25%) - that is cure #1, and can be used to make the Basic Dry Cure. If you have one of the LEM mixture, that is a cure mixture for jerky and sausage; they are formulated to mix into the meat, and I couldn't give you directions on how to use it as a dry cure.

As CRG pointed out in his post it is best to make a batch of the Basic Dry Cure and use that instead of trying to measure a small amount of cure #1 each time you want to cure a piece of meat. You don't have to make the full recipe. If you don't need that much Basic Dry Cure, you can scale to 1/2 or 1/4.

Here is a link to the Basic Dry Cure recipe. I now use it at a rate of 1 tablespoon per pound.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SL2010

Thank you HS and CRG i got to do a final walmart run before holiday and get the ingredients i will need i guess i should read things threw before a ask the questions i will be doing my first crack at Canadian bacon next week thanks again for the help

wfl

So LEM Products Meat Cure is CURE #1? Good to know I was on Bass Pro lookin for a source of cure#1 saw the LEM product, came online to ask if this was cure #1 and saw this thread immediately! Great forum!
                                                                                                            Regards  wfl

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: wfl on December 24, 2010, 07:31:04 AM
So LEM Products Meat Cure is CURE #1? Good to know I was on Bass Pro lookin for a source of cure#1 saw the LEM product, came online to ask if this was cure #1 and saw this thread immediately! Great forum!
                                                                                                            Regards  wfl

They make several cure blends for sausage and jerky, so don't get it confused with their Cure #1.

This is LEM's Cure that is the same as Cure #1
LEM's Cure

I
         don't
                   inhale.

jbs402

Do you know how long cure can be stored?

Habanero Smoker

It has to be stored in a cool, dark, dry place; I've seen guaranteed shelf life of 2 years. I have had store some longer than that. If it gets hard lumps you need to throw it away. If lumps form that can be easily broken apart with slight pressure it is still good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.