Kurobuta Bacon FINISHED w/pics

Started by KyNola, December 04, 2010, 02:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Kurobuta pork belly from Snake River Farms weighing in at 8 pounds.

Cut into 2 four pound slabs.  Talked to the folks at SRF before I ordered the bellies and they said "our bellies are leaner than most folks use to make bacon but they will work just fine".

Leaner?  Really? :D
Cured with kosher salt, cure #1 and brown sugar.  The normal curing method.  Oops, I'm out of maple syrup so I rummage around the pantry and what do I find?  Agave syrup.  That should sweeten it up!

Stay tuned, next week will be hickory smoked bacon MAKstyle!

deb415611

Watching............  I ordered one of those and it came the other day.  I'm not going to start it until next week. 

KyNola

Deb, if you ordered from SRF I can tell you how close they cut to the rib bones.  I had to cut out a piece of a rib bone. :D

This should be an interesting bacon session.

deb415611

Mine looks like yours  ;D

It's going to become Christmas bacon

Brisket Lover

Is this online ordering?  I've always wanted to try my hand at bacon.

KyNola

www.snakeriverfarms.com  There are several different places you can order Kurobuta pork and Wagyu beef from but I happen to like this website.  They are very customer friendly.  Be advised it's not cheap.  Wagyu beef is the US equivalent of Kobe Beef and Kurobuta pork is the Kobe of the pork world.  Great holiday treat! 

BuyLowSellHigh

Oh this is looking good!  I'll be staying tune for this one.

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

SamuelG

That looks amazing!

I was on their site just to take a look... I need a lot of practice before I can swing on of those beauties.

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

BuyLowSellHigh

Not to take ANYTHING away from SRF, but there is another source of Berkshire (Kurobuta) pork online, and that is Heritage Foods. 

I have never tried their Berkshire pork, but everything else I have ordered from them (turkeys, ducks, geese) has been first rate.  They are also very helpful and accommodating via telephone - call and you can have your belly either skin on or skin off.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

KyNola

Another one for Wagyu beef is Strube Ranch.  I think they supply Kurobuta pork as well.

Tenpoint5

Are you flipping it daily Kynola? I think you will be making the road trip with Squirt and Hal next time, after you finish this experiment!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 05, 2010, 07:41:02 AM
Are you flipping it daily Kynola? I think you will be making the road trip with Squirt and Hal next time, after you finish this experiment!!
Chris, flipped it for the first time this morning.  Was amazed at how much liquid it had already thrown off.  Have cured bellies before and never threw off this much liquid in the first 24 hours.  Anyone have any ideas or theories as to why?  I'm still learning!

Tenpoint5

I think it all depends on the Hog. I have had some that give a lot of liquid and some that don't have hardly any. The ones that dont have any are the ones that get me to second guessing myself. Did I put everything in the brine? I know I did didn't I??
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

deb415611

Larry,

Does Strube have online ordering?  I didn't notice it on their website

KyNola

Quote from: deb415611 on December 05, 2010, 07:54:20 AM
Does Strube have online ordering?  I didn't notice it on their website
Don't know Deb, have never actually ordered anything from them.  I know Big Poppa is a big fan of theirs and uses their meat quite often.

Had one of those slabs in a 2.5 gallon bag while the other is in a 1 gallon bag.  Transferred the one that was in the 2.5 gallon bag into a 1 gallon bag along with all of the liquid.  Was a little afraid of the seal on the 2.5 bag.  Those 1 gallon bags are at their capacity!  I put them on a half sheet pan in the frig just in case they are a little beyond their capacity and the seal leaks.