Kurobuta Bacon FINISHED w/pics

Started by KyNola, December 04, 2010, 02:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuyLowSellHigh

Last I checked, Strube's doesn't sell direct.  I buy it locally at Pete's Fine Meats in Houston.  Pete's will ship, and the last price I had on a Strube's brisket was $6.89/lb
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

KyNola

Quote from: BuyLowSellHigh on December 05, 2010, 08:23:52 AM
Last I checked, Strube's doesn't sell direct.  I buy it locally at Pete's Fine Meats in Houston.  Pete's will ship, and the last price I had on a Strube's brisket was $6.89/lb
There's your answer Deb!  Thanks BLSH.

deb415611

classicrockgriller

I have a almost 18 lb brisket BLSH talked me into buying when we were at Pete's with Gizmo.

The fat cap felt like velvet. Just soft.

Am waiting for a very special occasion before I smoke that $124 piece of meat.

Smoking Rebel

Looking good!

I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 05, 2010, 11:46:44 AM
I have a almost 18 lb brisket BLSH talked me into buying when we were at Pete's with Gizmo.

The fat cap felt like velvet. Just soft.

Am waiting for a very special occasion before I smoke that $124 piece of meat.

Yeah, it's all my fault that you bought the biggest, most expensive brisket in the entire State of Texas.

I really had to twist your arm on that one.    ;D

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Brisket Lover

Holy cow! That's a big brisket!

KyNola

Need your opinions on which day to smoke the bacon.  The weather forecast for this Saturday is rain all day with a high around 50F.  Late Saturday afternoon the wind is really going to pick up to 20-25mph, gusting to 30 mph and the rain changing over to snow.  Sunday, the snow and winds continue, dying off in the late afternoon with a high only in the low 30's.

I'm thinking early Saturday afternoon is the best time as I'm going to have precipitation both days anyhow but will have a warmer air temp before the winds really ramp up.  The MAK can handle the precipitation with no issue.  It's the wind factor I'm more concerned with.

Your thoughts?

KevinG

Buy a plank of plywood and take the wind out of the equation, other than that the Saturday thing sounds about right.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

FLBentRider

That's interesting weather weekend for smoking Larry...

Either early Saturday or Late Sunday.

Have you run your MAK in the rain?

I have, but on my covered/screen back patio.

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Quote from: FLBentRider on December 09, 2010, 10:47:21 AM
I have run mine in the rain a few times.  It sits on an uncovered patio but I try to shield it with a large patio umbrella over it.  It doesn't mind the rain at all.  I know MAK Daddy runs his in the rain all the time.

Tenpoint5

This is a no Brainer Larry. Since your retiring just use one of them sick days your banking and call in sick on Friday and smoke it on Friday!! No weather issues.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

Quote from: KyNola on December 09, 2010, 12:26:33 PM
Quote from: FLBentRider on December 09, 2010, 10:47:21 AM
I have run mine in the rain a few times.  It sits on an uncovered patio but I try to shield it with a large patio umbrella over it.  It doesn't mind the rain at all.  I know MAK Daddy runs his in the rain all the time.

Cool. I would worry about pellets swelling....
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Had to call an audible on smoking the belly sections.  Decided to do it tonight while the air temp is 42 degrees, little wind and no precipitation. MAK is monitoring one belly piece's IT while my new ET-732 is monitoring the pit temp and IT of the other belly slab. Just using both of them for comparison purposes.  Will check both of their readouts with a Thermopen.  My ET-732 came without the clip for the pit probe.  Not a problem if you're married to a retired school teacher. :D  Will post pics once the battery for the camera charges up a bit.

Stay tuned, the Bacon Channel is on the air!  It's a double feature this weekend as I think my friend to the Northwest, STC is going to start curing Canadian Bacon and a Belly section.

hal4uk

Quote from: KyNola on December 10, 2010, 07:05:45 PM
Had to call an audible on smoking the belly sections.  Decided to do it tonight while the air temp is 42 degrees, little wind and no precipitation. MAK is monitoring one belly piece's IT while my new ET-732 is monitoring the pit temp and IT of the ither belly slab. Just using both of them for comparison purposes.  Will check both of their readouts with a Thermopen.  My ET-732 came without the clip for the pit probe.  Not a problem if you're married to a retired school teacher. :D  Will post pics once the battery for the camera charges up a bit.

Stay tuned, the Bacon Channel is on the air!  It's a double feature this weekend as I think my friend to the Northwest, STC is going to start curing Canadian Bacon and a Belly section.

Cool!  ---How do like the ET-732?

You inspired me too...  I have a pork loin in the fridge...
Gonna trim/cure this weekend.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby