Bradley Digital Electrical specs

Started by mjdeez, October 31, 2010, 07:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjdeez

Hey everybody,
Does anyone have any electrical information on the sense line between the SG and the tower? Is it just a thermocouple voltage and if so, what type (K or T)? Seems it is not a thermocouple but more likely a thermistor but I will check it out and post results in case anyone is interested. 

The long version of why I want this: I've been reading a bunch of the posts on cold smoking, and I was wondering if I could regulate the tower temperature to about 70 degF with my BDS.  For the summer months I probably wouldn't need to do this, but I've done some smoking in 20 and 30 deg weather. Because the BDS only regulates down to 120F, I'd need to accomplish the sensing side of this by offsetting the sensed temperature by say +100 deg (70 deg + 50 deg to get to 120 + an additional 50 for good measure).  Then I would just set the temp to 170, and the smoker would regulate to 70F, while the SG would sense 70 actual temp + the artificial 100 deg offset.

Second question: Is the output power line of the SG into the tower running at the same voltage as the line input to the SG (e.g. 110 AC)? Edit: Found out it is. I'm thinking a lower power heating element would work better for such a low temp. I'm thinking 100W light bulb.  

Besides the two questions on the signals, any other thoughts on this setup?  

Thanks,
Mike

Edited because I forgot the Bradley only goes down to 120F, not 100F.

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Mike

You are correct the Digital Smoker uses a thermistor type of temperature sensor.

Brian.

mjdeez

Thank you Brian. I finally got around to posting my cold smoke modifications: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=19496.0