Auto-Tuning the Auber PID

Started by porterdriver, December 06, 2010, 06:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

porterdriver

Just finished installing second heating element in my 6 rack BDS.  According to Mr. Walleye's instructions, he said that he had to run auto-tune a couple of times on his PID to get a more correct response from the unit.

Is there a simplified set of Auto-Tune instructions that one of you greybeards have developed for us greenhorns? I freely admit that I cannot make heads nor tails of the instructions that came with my Auber.

BuyLowSellHigh

Before you run Autotune, somewhere on this site are the settings from Auber for the dual element mod.  Now if we can just find them ... I think they were posted about a month ago.

Edit -- I think this is it. The short version s just to reset the P value.  Of coarse you can tune it.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=16012.msg191638#msg191638

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

classicrockgriller

The Auber isn't much off with a 6 rack/dual element.

When you do your autotune do it in the middle of a long or semi long smoke/cook.

Sometimes it does take awhile.

love the smoke

I asked that exact same question here is the thread and the reply from Auber Inst

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=16012.msg191638#msg191638

LTS
LTS

BuyLowSellHigh

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

porterdriver

This may be related to my original question, maybe not.  I smoked a chicken today.  I have the cabinet-mount probe for the Auber and I have a Maverick ET-73.  Auber Probe and temp sensor on the SG both agreed throughout the entire smoke (+/- a few degrees) but the Maverick (at the same level as the Auber Probe) was different throughout and especially off(by 30+ degree; Maverick read 287) at the top end of 250 degrees.  What gives?  Is this a function of the Auber not being dialed in yet?

Does anyone use both the IT probe from the Auber and the IT probe from the Maverick at the same time?  If so, how close together are they placed?

So if I read the redirected link, if I change the P value to 140, then I don't need to run the auto-tune feature.  Cuz I still can't understand from that post either how to run the AT.

TestRocket

I have the OBS with the dual element and instead of running the auto tune I changed the P value from 70 to 140 and found that with my dual probe Maverick and my dual probe PID if I have one of each probe hanging in the same spot they are within +- 1-2 degrees. But I also have checked all four probes in boiling water to see how they compare. Like I said I have the OBS not the DBS but I've found the door thermometer is off by as much as 30 degrees low. So I suggest trying all your probes in boiling water (careful not to submerge so that water enters the point where the wire enters the probe) and compare temps so you have a better understanding on how they agree! Good Luck!  ;D