Cold smoking basics?

Started by SoCalBuilder, November 30, 2010, 12:21:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalBuilder

I'm getting closer to jumping into cold smoking and I have a couple questions on the basic setup. I have an OBS and I have it in a cabinet that would make it difficult to mount the cold box as I've seen in most of the other posts, that is down and just to the left of the smoker. It looks like the average connecting pipe length is about 3 feet.

With my situation, down and to the left is no problem, but I will have to bring it forward and that is going to increase my pipe length to maybe 6 feet. Ambient temp shouldn't be a problem. The average high is well below 80 degrees here in San Diego and I can keep everything in the shade.

Any hints and help would be appreciated ;D
Randy

Wildcat

IMHO as long as you get smoke to the meat, how far the smoke has to travel is of little consequence.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

KevinG

Longer is actually better if you can do it, but you may not be able to use the standard piping that comes with the cold smoker attachment. There were all sorts of other material being used without issues though, you can pick something up from home depot or lowes.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

pensrock

Longer hose = cooler smoke, go for it.

Habanero Smoker

As others have stated the length you are looking for is not a problem. The shape you want to bend the duct, you would be better off obtaining laminated aluminum dryer hose. It is easy to work with and very flexible. I generally find it at Lowes, or Home Depot. But if you purchase the Bradley Cold Smoke adapter, you need to find a 5" ID hose, or find an adapter to convert a 5" to either a 4" or 6" hose.

Here a link that shows what the hose looks like:
Laminated Aluminum Dryer Hose

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SoCalBuilder

Thanks guys, that was quick.
Hab's - thanks for the heads up on the pipe size. I'll probably just go ahead and get the Bradley setup so I don't have to worry about mating the smoker to the box. The only reason I would make my own would be to get a bigger water pan in, but I gather that most cold smokes aren't that long and the water won't boil out with just the SG heating. I can make the adapter, or better yet, get one of my tin-banger buddies to make me one.
Thanks again everyone for the input ;D ;D

GusRobin

If you buy the Bradley cold smoke - it comes with all the adapters you need to hook it to the OBS.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

ArnieM

Heck, I just mount the SG in a cardboard box and hook it up with 4 inch plastic dryer vent hose.  Lord knows, my wife buys enough stuff that I have plenty of cardboard boxes.  :-\

I use it a couple of times and then discard the whole setup.

The water bowl shouldn't be a problem.  The pucks will not likely burn all the way without the heat from the cabinet.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

watchdog56

I also use a cardboard box with dryer vent hose. Duct taped the hose to the box and have done a half a dozen or so cold smokes and it is still in good shape. I think I paid about $7 for the vent hose-sure beats the $100 price.

Habanero Smoker

When you get the Cold Smoker Adapter, be very careful on how you bend the hose. It is very thin, not very flexible, and prone to tearing if you try to shape it too much.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KevinG

And absolutely don't twist it, it will unravel!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG