virgin sausage voyage

Started by scoopbooty, December 15, 2010, 06:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoopbooty

I just read the posts about cooking sausage, which was really helpful. I spent the day today stuffing casing and will let them set up tonight in the fridge. Tomorrow I'll start the cooking. Does it make any difference whether the sausage is hanging or just laying flat on the racks? If hanging, what do you guys use for hangers, drapery hooks? Bent pieces of wire? I was just going to lay them on the racks, but I'm open to suggestions.

Second, I did my first test run today on a chicken. Awesome, it was a wonderful dinner. The only biscuits I have are the blend variety, which I'm OK with for this round. I think I'll try some of the other woods down the line, but this is what I have, so I'll go with this. In cooking the chicken today I noticed that the biscuits never fully cooked. They cooked perhaps 20% and then dumped into the water bowl. Is this correct? I thought they'd completely disintegrate, although, I suppose that'd leave an ash pile on the cooker, so, maybe that's intentional. Since they're not fully cooked, theoretically, couldn't they be used again after drying out?

Thanks for the advice gang!

d

RAF128

I hang all of my sausage.   I bought some wood dowling, 3/8 inch and cut to the right length to go across  the Bradley

SoCalBuilder

Scoop - Those bisquettes should really burn completely. THey will hold their shape, but they will be burnt, top to bottom. THe burn cycle is 20 minutes per puck, so you might want to put a stop watch on it. The other possibility is lack of voltage, so you might look for loose connections, inside and out.

DTAggie

Scoop, you do not want the pucks turning to ash.  When cooking meat, I always the SG on while preheating the cabinet. This helps with getting the most out of your pucks.  Sausage is a little different as the temp is lower.  But the pucks will never turn to ash unless it is the last one you use during a smoke and do not have bubba pucks to push it off.

classicrockgriller

On some of the Harder woods like special blend and oak, they may not burn completely up

but 80% of the puck will.

Are you by any chance hook up to an extention cord?

scoopbooty

ClassicRocker, yes, I am on an extension cord.. and kind of a cheapy at that. Didn't think that would affect anything. Should I put it on a heavier gage cord?

classicrockgriller

That could be your problem.

There is a guide line for pluggin in to a extention cord.

It needs to be short and HD.

Also check the plug you are using to see what other electrical devices are sharing that circuit.

I will look for the right cord size for you.

Think your Bradley is needing more juice.