Adding Heating element

Started by CentPaSmokin, December 09, 2010, 10:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CentPaSmokin

I am adding a 2nd heating element with fusible link and sensor  can I use the round connector on the fusible link to connect to 2nd heating element . Also would like to add 2nd indicator light so I know both are working . Would i just bring one wire off each side to light. ???

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

TestRocket

Take a look at what I did! The second page has most of the PICS. Look it over and I'll keep an eye out for any questions you may have!

The answer about connecting the fusible link to the element is yes. That's what I did. Good Luck!

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=16299.0   

Habanero Smoker

If you are going to add a second pilot light, you might want to install an on/off switch instead to give you more options.

Extra Element with ON?OFF Switch

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

thirtydaZe

i replaced my heating element last night, my first trip into doing anything mechanical to the DBS.

why couldn't you just daisy chain the 2 elements together?

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

TestRocket

Quote from: thirtydaZe on December 10, 2010, 10:27:11 AM

I don't have a DBS but the answer is it would double the load on the controller to 1000 watts and it's designed around controlling a 500 watt load. It might burn it up?

CentPaSmokin

Just finished up all went fine both elements heated up. Was fairly easy when removed covers and saw how the first one was wired. I did use the on/off switch for the second element .  Now cant wait to plug in pid and do some smokin. Thank You very much for your help this is a great forum.

thirtydaZe

Quote from: TestRocket on December 10, 2010, 12:27:11 PM

I don't have a DBS but the answer is it would double the load on the controller to 1000 watts and it's designed around controlling a 500 watt load. It might burn it up?

gotcha.  aren't most splicing the existing wire though at the back of the tower?

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

TestRocket

Quote from: thirtydaZe on December 10, 2010, 03:21:21 PM
Quote from: TestRocket on December 10, 2010, 12:27:11 PM

gotcha.  aren't most splicing the existing wire though at the back of the tower?

I think your right that most of us have just brought power from the back side (recessed male AC plug) by adding the little dual spade lug adaptors. That way the additional 500 watt heating element is on the wall outlet and not the controller.

It's hard to see in this picture but I added the dual spade lugs to the left and right side of the recessed male AC plug. It's more noticeable on the left side where you can see both a blue and orange wire coming off the same terminal.

Keep in mind that if you want on/off control of the second element without using an additional controller you will need to add an on/off switch.

And the disclaimer: I don't think the OBS cabinet was ever designed to handle 1000 watts of heating without an additional controller such as a PID. So never expect it to be safe using both elements without the addition of a separate controller!

love the smoke

I dont know why if it is the element or the combination of the element and the PID but I just fried another element.

Anyone know for sure how the PID turns on the element is it ON.................................OFF.........................ON........................OFF........................ON or is it more ON..OFF..ON..OFF

Maybe the element cant take the fast cycling of the pwer ?

So yes it would be advisable to have a spare on hand

LTS
LTS

GusRobin

I have used a single PID and a dual PID since the day I got the OBS and have not had a problem. From what I have been reading it seems like the problem is occurring with or without a PID. So I don't think it is the PID.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TedEbear

Quote from: love the smoke on December 13, 2010, 04:17:58 AM
I dont know why if it is the element or the combination of the element and the PID but I just fried another element.

What model PID are you using?  I'm looking at adding a PID to my OBS and there are several options that others have used.  I'm trying to get an idea of which might work better with dual elements, which I also plan to add.

love the smoke

LTS

TestRocket

I'm using the same one as Love the smoke!

chilakosg

Hello all - trying to reboot this thread.  I am trying to add an additional element to my bradley 6 rack digital smoker.. it seems like this site has step by step instructions .. but the site is down.

Does anyone have this information handy ? Thanks in advance !

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?572-Additional-Heating-Element-Modification&p=910#post910