My First Brined Turkey

Started by OldHickory, December 09, 2010, 12:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldHickory

I have always been afraid to use brine on the Thanksgiving turkey, but after all the good coments on the Forum, I decided to chance it.  First the brine: I used1 cup kosher salt to 1gal water, multiple sprigs of fresh thyme and rosemary, brought all to a boil for thirty minutes, then on ice to chill overnight.  Next I strained the brine into a 2.5 gal Hefty food bag with my 10.5# fresh hen turkey, squeezed all the air out and closed the seal, then into the cooler and covered with ice for 24 hrs.

Now it is out of the brine, well rinsed and patted dry.  Next the seasoning.

A good rubdown with OO, sprinkeling of garlic and onion powder, and crushed black pepper, and the rest of the fresh sprigs of thyme and rosemary into the cavity.  Now into the BDS4 preheated to cab temp of 240 on the PID, smoke with Hickory.

My wife has the table all set, I hope I don"t screw up the turkey.

Well so far so good.  Had a stall at 150* and temp drop to 145*.  About an hour for recovery then on to a IT of 160*

After6.5 hr. it was done, smoked total time.  This was my best turkey ever.  Moist and tender, and the smoke was perfect.  There was lots of juice in the pan for my Wife to make the gravey.  I had at least two " the best turkey I ever tasted."  Well, thats what this is all about.

Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

FLBentRider

That is a great looking bird.

Ever since I brined one, I don't think I have done one without brining.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SouthernSmoked

Heck Yeah, awesome looking turkey!

Great job!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Great looking turkey and love your dining room.

seemore

That looks wonderful!  I can't wait to hear the review.  I bet the meat is tender and flavorful!
Mrs

DarqMan

That's a great looking bird OldHickory!
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

jiggerjams

Beatiful bird...and floor. Nice job

DTAggie

TestRocket

That's one good looking bird! Congrats!

Caneyscud

All that black pepper makes me want to come try some.  Great looking bird there OldHickory.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

OldHickory

Thanks for all your kind comments.  My family and I had a wonderful Thanksgiving feast.  The posted experiences of members of this forum are always most helpful.

OldHickory
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

TestRocket

I'm thinking of doing a Christmas turkey in the Bradley to go along with the normal 10-12 lb standing rib roast because of the number of people that are going to be here this year. My question is, how well did the smoke penetrated the bird with it cooking in the pan to catch juice and is there anything you would do next time that you think would make it better?

That bird is so pretty I've bookmarked this for future reference. Thanks!

squirtthecat

Awesome looking bird!

One thing I've started doing is inverting a Bradley rack over one of those half sheet pans to hold the turkey/chicken/whatever- it lets the smoke circulate around the meat a little more, and then the pan still catches the yummy drippings.   Best of both worlds!

TestRocket

Squirt, I'm confused! I understand the inverted rack. Is the "half sheet pan" the same pan OldHickory's bird is in and if so I'm guessing the pan is low on the shelf below the bird? Or even better I learn better visually and have a couple of weeks...got any PIC's?