My First Brined Turkey

Started by OldHickory, December 09, 2010, 12:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

This is what I'm talking about.

Yes, those pans OH is using are 'half sheet' pans.

OldHickory

Yes that is a half sheet pan.  I have smoked our Thanksgiving turkey for the past thirty years.  The past two years have been in the Bradley, and they have been the best.  I have found that the half sheet pan has made no difference in the smoke absorption, the pre-brine was a big plus in moisture content on the outer 1 inch of the turkey.  The pan is a plus in the collection of the wonderful juices. This was the best turkey I have done.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

BuyLowSellHigh

That is a GORGEOUS bird!

Very nicely done.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Chili Head

That looks fantastic!! Nice job!

TestRocket

Thanks! I got it now and believe I'll be doing something very much like that in two weeks!    ;D

TestRocket

OldHickory, one more question. How long did you roll smoke?  ;D

OldHickory

Quote from: TestRocket on December 21, 2010, 06:53:19 AM
OldHickory, one more question. How long did you roll smoke?  ;D
I had smoke the total cook time ( 6.5hr ).  I thought  the smoke taste and penetration was perfect and will do it the same the next time.
Char-Broil SRG
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

TestRocket

Thank you! Because it is really looking like I'll be trying it!  ;D

jiggerjams

I too think I will be trying this recipe.

I have read in multiple posts that smoking poultry in the Bradley tastes great but the skin never crisps up. Yet it appears the skin is crispy in the pictures posted. Is my observation correct? Can you please comment either way.

Thanks,
JJ 

cinrds

I did my first Brine turkey a few weeks ago and it was really good.  One of my sons who is not a big turkey fan keeping coming back for more.  So that told me all I needed to know. 

OldHickory

Quote from: jiggerjams on December 21, 2010, 12:08:27 PM
I too think I will be trying this recipe.

I have read in multiple posts that smoking poultry in the Bradley tastes great but the skin never crisps up. Yet it appears the skin is crispy in the pictures posted. Is my observation correct? Can you please comment either way.

Thanks,
JJ 

The skin was not real crispy, but the taste was great.  The family grabbed the meat as fast as I could carve it and I couldn't get a good plating pic, and there were no leftovers.  Be sure to rinse the bird well after brining, and I didn't use any salt in the seasoning afterword.  The taste after cooking told me I did not need additional salt in the seasoning.   
Char-Broil SRG
Pit Barrel Smoker

TestRocket

I picked up a 10.47 lb bird on the way home today. So it's decided I'll be brining my second turkey (first was for Thanksgiving) and this time it's going in the Bradley!

I'm thinking a 24 hour brine, overnight air dry in the fridge, PID set for 240 degs, (2-1) apple and pecan pucks, the bird will be seasoned of course and into the Bradley for what I'm hoping for is 6.5 hours. I may work in up to about an hour just to be safe and I'll have around a 10 lb standing rib roast in the oven shooting for the same eating time!

I can only hope my bird comes out looking as good as yours did OldHickory!  ;D

jiggerjams

Smoking Jim

Hi OH I did nearly the same for christmas, brined a 3.6 kilogram turkey and a duck the best we have ever had.[every thing is in metric in australia] Brined for 12 hours,patted dry and in the fridge for 2 hours rubbed with nostimi seasoning and stuffed with a sliced apple and onion plus a cinomon stick and a cup of water which were boiled for 10 minutes. My BDS 6 rack was being used for smoking trout fresh out of my aquaponics system so i used the kamado every thing was great.
Smoking Jim.

Caneyscud

Ok now Smoking Jim - you have really peaked my interest. 

Nostimi seasoning - I have no idea what this is.
Cinnamon in a turkey - That is interesting - never done that, but have included cinnamon in some rubs.
Trout fresh out of you aquaponics system.  That is kewl - always wanted to do that, but my yard ain't big enough - I've though about going with big above ground tanks. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"