Present from my Wife - Pork Loin

Started by ArnieM, December 11, 2010, 07:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

She went grocery shopping yesterday and brought this home for me.  9.7 pounds.

I don't have the best butchering skills but ...

The big piece on the left is for a roast.  The one on the right is for Canadian bacon.  Six thin sliced cutlets plus four thick center cut chops.  I can't wait.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

smoker pete

Nice to see SWMBO doesn't have an agenda Arnie ;D ;D  I think she knew what she wanted and how to get it ... Nice cut of pork there!  I like the looks of that marbling.  How do you fix your "cutlets"?  Do you bread them and then fry them up?  Have fun.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

ArnieM

Hi Pete,

I'll likely coat them in Mies and then do a quick, hot fry.  I'm thinking of a butterfly on the roast and then rolling it up with some kind of stuffing.
-- Arnie

BuyLowSellHigh

That's some great looking pork, Arie.  Did she get that from the butcher?

Looks like you the have the have the British meat storage case at work.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

smoker pete

Quote from: ArnieM on December 11, 2010, 08:18:08 AM
Hi Pete,

I'll likely coat them in Mies and then do a quick, hot fry.  I'm thinking of a butterfly on the roast and then rolling it up with some kind of stuffing.

I need to just bite the bullet and butterfly me a pork loin.  Been putting it off cause I'm thinking I'll ruin it ... but as some like to say on this forum ... You can't hurt it cause it's already dead!!  What kind of stuff do you stuff yours with?

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

ArnieM

Eric,

Yeah the pork looked good; nice white creamy fat.  It came from the supermarket on sale.  What's the British thing you mentioned?

Pete,

The butterfly thing isn't hard.  It takes a long and VERY sharp knife.  It's just a cut and rotate.  I'll post pics when I get it going.  Hey, if it doesn't come out, chop it up, put it in a crock pot with veggies and you have pork stew.  No one will know.

I don't have a recipe for the stuffing - however.  Bacon, fried and chopped.  Some commercial stuffing mix - I like cornbread.  Fresh spinach and mushrooms, blanched and chopped.  Maybe some mustard powder; an egg.  S&P of course.  A bit of sage if you like it.  A little smoked grated cheddar wouldn't hurt either.  Then, wrap and tie with butcher's twine.

As far as the stuffing goes, do it the way would like it.

-- Arnie

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: ArnieM on December 11, 2010, 04:01:57 PM

What's the British thing you mentioned?

Arnie, it's my tounge-in-cheek expression for meat piled on a cold counter.  A few years ago as part of a project I was running I got drug around to to a bunch of UK markets.  A couple of them had beef cuts piled on cold stone counters as their display/storage case -- no wrapping or packaging, just a pile of beef cuts on a stone counter.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Smokin Soon

I like to stuff with a really strong garlic pesto with a thin layer of spicy jimmy deans on the top. Usually cut a small "V" trough in the loin after splitting. It helps hold more gunk and ties up easier.

OU812

Quote from: ArnieM on December 11, 2010, 04:01:57 PM

I don't have a recipe for the stuffing - however.  Bacon, fried and chopped.  Some commercial stuffing mix - I like cornbread.  Fresh spinach and mushrooms, blanched and chopped.  Maybe some mustard powder; an egg.  S&P of course.  A bit of sage if you like it.  A little smoked grated cheddar wouldn't hurt either.  Then, wrap and tie with butcher's twine.

Holy crap thats makin me HUNGRY!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM spinage n shrooms.