How is Indian Candy supposed to taste?

Started by Smokeville, December 11, 2010, 10:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

I'm baffled on this......

I made some Indian candy as I mentioned in the other thread. First I used Kummok's brine and then I followed the recipe here on the Bradley site. My first impressions were positive, but the next day when it wasn't warm I really couldn't enjoy it. The texture seemed almost dry-chewy and it had a very salty aftertaste. I've had Indian Candy that was commercially made in British Columbia and it was wonderful.

I took some to our local high-end fish market and the people there loved it. Including the chef owner. She thought it was a real winner. The folks there are all from the East coast (Newfoundland, etc.) and they seem to know what they are talking about. They even liked the initial sweetness followed by the salty aftertaste.

So, my question for all you Indian candy experts, how can you describe the ideal Indian Candy??

Thanks, Rich

Ka Honu

Quote from: Smokeville on December 11, 2010, 10:08:34 AM... how can you describe the ideal Indian Candy??

I can't describe the ideal Indian candy (words fail me) but I did find a picture...

beefmann

GusRobin

Where did you get a copy of my girlfriend's picture? :o

meanwhile I hope someone can answer the original question.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

TestRocket

BuyLowSellHigh

Question ?  No questions please, at least not now.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Up In Smoke

You guys realize that she has a mother!!! and i hope she is available  :D
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

smoker pete

Indian Candy ... Nooooooo, that was eye candy !!!!  But seriously ... I think Indian Candy is supposed to taste like ...

wait for it ....

Indians?  ::) ;D :D  ... I know ... I know ... I'm ashamed of myself  :-[

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Kummok

It kinda tastes like....well....eagle!!  ;) ;D

Smokeville

Ok, all you wise guys!

When I make my millions perfecting it without your help and sell it by the ton, and then buy Bradley and have the R&D crew build a smoker with a built in PID and 1000 watt element...

... I have taken down all your names and I won't sell any to you....

so there!

Rich  :D

TestRocket

Forgive me I'm easily distracted and don't know what Indian Candy taste like and if I did well...(words fail me)  ;)

smoker pete

Quote from: Smokeville on December 12, 2010, 10:25:04 AM
Ok, all you wise guys!

When I make my millions perfecting it without your help and sell it by the ton, and then buy Bradley and have the R&D crew build a smoker with a built in PID and 1000 watt element...

... I have taken down all your names and I won't sell any to you....

Too bad you have me on the list Smokerville cause when you buy Bradley and have the R&D crew build a smoker with a built in PID and 1000 watt element I would have been at the head of the line to buy at least one ;D ;D  A 6 rack Bradley with 1000 watt element and a built in PID would be a killer   :o

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Smokeville

Yeah, it would be a dream come true, eh?

I wonder why Bradley doesn't develop it? They could set the price so they wouldn't undercut the current product line.

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: Smokeville on December 12, 2010, 12:11:17 PM
Yeah, it would be a dream come true, eh?

I wonder why Bradley doesn't develop it? They could set the price so they wouldn't undercut the current product line.

Killer indeed!

Many of us are buying PID's and modifying the smoker to get exactly that. Give me that design off the shelf for +$200 and I am still money ahead, and a better value than the alternatives.

BTW, if I can get the Indian eye candy as an option, I'll take two, maybe three.  I probably wouldn't live very long, but at least I would go with a smile that even a world class mortician couldn't remove.    ;D
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here