How is Indian Candy supposed to taste?

Started by Smokeville, December 11, 2010, 10:08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whalebreath

To my taste the original Indian Candy taste is what OP describes-never a personal favourite since I didn't like sweet then salty although the dryish jerky-like texture was fine.

Of late we're seeing a moister product that's overall sweeter with less salt as a backup flavour (if I can put it in those terms).

I have a bunch of this newer/sweeter/milder taste product made by Granville island Smokery they were recommended to me and did an outstanding job but again Indian Candy isn't my favourite.

So it sounds like OP needs to tweak his recipe a tad to suit his own taste.

There's a killer recipe on Sportfishing BC.com

Kummok

I think that the reason everyone is having a bit of fun with this is cuz nobody really knows what it tastes like cuz there's a zillion* descriptions of what Indian candy really is  ???....Only the First Nation People know for sure and even THEY don't agree on it. I'd never even heard the term "Indian candy" until a few years ago on this forum when it was used as a PC term for squaw candy. Where I grew up in NorCal, squaw candy was the fish version of pemmican to the Piutes I grew up with...up here, my Eskimo, Aleut, Athabascan/Tlinget/Haida friends tell me that it simply dried salmon strips, sometimes smoked.

Whenever I've been involved with discussions of squaw candy or Indian candy it's always been an experience like asking a group of cowboys about what "good chili" tastes like! :o

Honest though...it really does taste like spotted owl and kangaroo rat!  ;)

*(don't tell Obama and our Congress about the term "zillion"!!)

Smokeville

Ok yous' guys you are all forgiven......

My round 2 using only a wet brine is partly done.... the first batch was sweeter with not so much salt. The second batch is air drying overnight and I didn't rinse the brine off so maybe there will be more salt....

In case you think I'm foolin' about making a million, the only guy around here who makes this stuff sells it for.......

Drum Roll Please!

$100 per kilo. For you metrically challenged folks, that is $45.45 PER POUND!

And his stuff is ok but not great.

Rich

Kummok

OK Rich...fine tune the product, sell LOTS, get really RICH, buy a really nice salmon catcher (  http://www.bayweldboats.com/ ) and park it here in Homer...I'll be your "caretaker/driver"!!  ;D ;D

Smokeville

Quote from: Kummok on December 12, 2010, 10:17:50 PM
OK Rich...fine tune the product, sell LOTS, get really RICH, buy a really nice salmon catcher (  http://www.bayweldboats.com/ ) and park it here in Homer...I'll be your "caretaker/driver"!!  ;D ;D

sounds like a plan, Kummok!

GusRobin

Rich - also after all that is accomplished you can adopt me.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TestRocket

Well I never been to Homer AK
But I've been to Houma LA
Well they tell me I have a sister there (north of Homer)
But I really never been there
In Houma, not Homer
What does it matter
What does it matter
  ;D

Caneyscud

If it works out, I'll come up and we'll go to China Poot Lake.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Kummok