Cures

Started by kelpiedg, December 08, 2010, 05:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelpiedg

I know this has probably been asked a thousand times but I cant find it.  Can I use Morton Quick cure for Cure #1?  I am going to attempt 10.5's bacon.

SamuelG

I just finished that same recipe... ;D ;D ;D

Make plenty of it! One of the experts will be by soon to help you out.

SamuelG
SamuelG

GusRobin

Yes 1 tablespoon per lb. Don't use any other salt.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

KevinG

Yes and no, you can use it but it is not the same measurement as cure#1, this might help.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?736-Curing-Salts
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

kelpiedg

Thanks Kevin G.  That was what I was looking for.  I think I shall be on the quest for cure #1.  Hope I can find it locally.  If not maybe in trouble. but I have a butcher Friend I am sure has it.

FLBentRider

I have used Morton Tender quick to make (belly) bacon. 1 Tablespoon per lb, I usually add 1Tablespoon per lb of brown sugar, or other (onion and garlic powder come to mind) seasonings.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

kelpiedg

So FLbentbender,  what your saying is I could modify the recipe and use Morton quick cure and drop the extra salt?

FLBentRider

Quote from: kelpiedg on December 09, 2010, 04:28:18 PM
So FLbentbender,  what your saying is I could modify the recipe and use Morton quick cure and drop the extra salt?

In a word, Yes.

Morton's tender quick is a "cure mix" - it contains Cure#1, Cure#2, Salt and Sugar.

In 10.5's recipe, the salt and cure #1 is the cure mix.

I'm sure 10.5 will be along shortly to confirm.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

for the most part it is. I haven't tried to make bacon without the cure #1 Hopefully Habs can popin and explain it all he words it better than I do.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

kelpiedg

Okay so I found this with allot of digging.  I am ashamed to say I didn't pay attention to who posted it.  I do know I started at the back of the cure posts and worked forward.  Hopefully somebody else speaks up on how this turned out for them.  or the author is still around so credit can go to who deserves it.

Bacon Cure (per pound)
1 Tbsp Morton tender quick
1 Tbsp brown sugar
ΒΌ cup maple syrup

Mix the Tender quick and sugar (NOTE: qty is per pound and each piece should be done separately if you have multiple pieces), rub all of it on the bacon, put in a large sealable baggie, add maple syrup to bag, seal and put in the fridge for 4 -5 days, flipping it over at least once a day. When done, take out, rinse and soak for 30 min in cold water. Pat dry let it dry in fridge overnight. Smoke the next day

Habanero Smoker

I just getting caught up with this thread.

Kelpiedg;
Glad you got the information you were looking for. In general, when you substitute Morton's TQ for cure #1 in a recipe, you need to eliminate all the add salt that is called for in the recipe. The salt to cure ratio is much higher in Morton's TQ; .05% sodium nitrite, .05% sodium nitrate, ≈79% salt, and ≈19% sugar; plus propylene glycol. For better results you may also want to use the curing times in 10.5's recipe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

kelpiedg

Thanks all for your help.  Hab I was going to use 10.5 time frame, the other didn't seem long enough compared to all the other recipes.  Once again thanks.