First crack at smoking sausage???

Started by walleye, December 13, 2010, 09:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walleye

Just bought the 6 rack smoker & could use some tips on how to use it. We have been making sausage for years but always had somebody else smoke it. So I would like to know what the best flavor wood to use & how long & at what temp you set the smoker at? Any other tips would also be great. thank you

smoker pete

Welcome to the forum Walleye.

Haven't smoked sausages yet but many have and will soon be here to help you out.  You'll love your Bradley!!

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

watchdog56

For venison sausage I like using oak or hickory. Usually set smoke at 120 for 1 hour no smoke then bump to 150 for 2 hours of smoke then to 160 for 2 hours then to 170 until It hits 152. Take out and either put in ice bath to help prevent shrinking or let air cool. I usually do 2 hours of smoke which is enough for me but you will have to experiment depending on how much smoke you want.

Friar_Tuck

Here is what I do, others may vary:
preheat smoker to 130, hang sausage in, no smoke, until the casings dry up a bit, usually an hour or so, then lay the smoke to it for a couple hours as you gradually increase smoker temp to 165.  Leave it in the smoker until the internal temp of the sausage is 152.  Take the sausage out, throw it on some racks in the shower, and shower it with cold water until the IT Drops to 110.  Then hang the sausage in room temp for a couple hours and let it bloom, (get a nice color).  Refrigerate over night, and then vacuum pack and freeze.
As far as wood goes, everyone has their preference, I use a lot of hickory if I want to really taste it, or apple if I want it a bit softer.
P.S.  You may want to do the shower part when your wife is gone, mine is a bit finicky about that part :}
Jim

Tenpoint5

Walleye, First off Welcome Aboard. As for a wood selection, I would suggest asking the guy that used to smoke your sausages for you. That way you have a known element in your sausage. You know the taste that you are looking for or are trying to match. Most of the guys run something pretty close to this when doing sausage.

Dry in cabinet at 120-130º for 1 - 1.5 hours
Apply smoke at 140-150º for 2 hours +/- depending on tastes)
Finish at 160-170º until an IT of 152-155º
Try not to exceed 180º in the smoker cabinet as this may lead to a fat out (The fats liquefy and run out of the sausage) and dry crumbly sausage.

Then either dunk in an ice water bath to stop the cooking or shower with cold water like above
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Welcome to the fun.

I do it like this.

120 F for 1 hr no smoke vent wide open
130 F for an hr, start the smoke, I use 3 hr Pecan
140 F for an hr.
150 F for an hr.
160 F for an hr.
170 F till the internal temp of the sausage hits 152 F and wait at least 1 min.

Then put the sausage in a cooler filled with ice water to lower the IT to 100 F then hang at room temp for 2 hr to drip dry and bloom. 

Good luck.

SouthernSmoked

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little