Cold Smoked Scotch Salmon -- in SE TX !

Started by BuyLowSellHigh, December 13, 2010, 06:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamuelG

Very Nice!   ;D

Will some of it even make it to the vacuum sealer or is it all gone!

SamuelG
SamuelG

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: SamuelG on December 14, 2010, 06:20:00 AM
Very Nice!   ;D

Will some of it even make it to the vacuum sealer or is it all gone!

SamuelG

;D

I'll tell you next week.  This is for an occasion dinner on Sunday (along with the slab-o-beef that's in the Drybag).

I have two more of those fillets in cryopacs resting at -20 °F.    :D
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Caneyscud

Ka Honu was inspired by some dufous cooking chili.  I am being inspired by salmon from SE TX!  I will have to do that over Christmas.  I know I've got some Laiphroaig leftover in my fishing flask.  Saw some great looking (supposedly wild caught) Alaskan salmon at Fresh Market the other day.  Alaskan Salmon wild caught at this time of the year?
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

KyNola

That is beautiful BLSH.  May have to give that a shot as I happen to have 2 Sockeye salmon fillets cryovaced in the freezer myself!.

Kummok

Quote from: Caneyscud on December 14, 2010, 06:55:21 AM
....Alaskan Salmon wild caught at this time of the year?

For the more hardy fishermen/women, this is the best time of year for feeder Kings....don't have to worry about meat spoilage from the heat. You've gotta pick your days though....it's gale force w/ freezing spray out in calm ol' Kachemak bay right now.. :o

BTW....wild caught Kings are still in the $800-$1200/lb range here (not a typo....that price includes the cost of boat/fuel/licenses/maintenance/dock/tackle/etc... ;)  )

Redneckinthecity

Quote from: Kummok on December 14, 2010, 09:28:57 AM
Quote from: Caneyscud on December 14, 2010, 06:55:21 AM
....Alaskan Salmon wild caught at this time of the year?

For the more hardy fishermen/women, this is the best time of year for feeder Kings....don't have to worry about meat spoilage from the heat. You've gotta pick your days though....it's gale force w/ freezing spray out in calm ol' Kachemak bay right now.. :o

BTW....wild caught Kings are still in the $800-$1200/lb range here (not a typo....that price includes the cost of boat/fuel/licenses/maintenance/dock/tackle/etc... ;)  )

That's about in line with the price of wild duck, deer and elk ...... :D

Caneyscud

BuyLowSellHigh

Years ago I had a friend in MI who decided to go in "whole hog" for Lake MI salmon fishing.  Bought a boat, a weekend house near where he kept the boat, gear, tackle, etc.  When he caught his first salmon he figured it to be worth something like $6,000 / lb.    ;D

Slamdunk

Beautiful looking salmon!

I'm curious about the use of Cure #! in the brine. I can't recall it being included in any other recipes I've seen.

I'd be interested in knowing how many people use cure in their brine?

BuyLowSellHigh

After hanging out in the fridge for six days, the time came.  As plated and served with capers, homemade creme fraiche and lemon, served with some homemade baguettes.  Wife said it turned out incredibly good.  They must have liked it - the plates came back empty.

Hungry crowd awaits -- 3 kids, 5 adults

Tenpoint5

Looks great Eric. Probably a $50 appetizer at a fancy restaurant and you made it at home.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caneyscud

Right on the money!  I'll take about 5 pounds!

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 20, 2010, 06:52:55 AM
Looks great Eric. Probably a $50 appetizer at a fancy restaurant and you made it at home.

Yep - a bunch cheaper at home, even having to pay TX market price for the salmon. 

And for my taste, better too, but then I am biased.   :D

I checked current price (internet) on cold smoked sockeye -- depending on where I was finding typically $35-$40 for a 1.5 lb filet.  My total cost, including pucks and cure was ~ $21/filet.  Not cheap, but for something truly special, a bargain.

tsquared

Nice looking scotch smoked BLSH! I am going to put some sockeye in the salt in a few days to do the same thing since my August batch is all gone. This AM I'm putting 8 racks of Kummok's strips in the smoker for xmas gifts.
QuoteBTW....wild caught Kings are still in the $800-$1200/lb range here (not a typo....that price includes the cost of boat/fuel/licenses/maintenance/dock/tackle/etc... 
Kummok--You are welcome to come and visit here on the Island anytime--but never mention this subject to my wife!!! :D
T2

Kummok

Quote from: tsquared on December 20, 2010, 09:19:12 AM
..... Kummok--You are welcome to come and visit here on the Island anytime--but never mention this subject to my wife!!! :D
T2

They KNOW.....  our fishing time = their shopping time! Bought my wife an iTouch last year and she doesn't even know when I'm at home anymore... ;)

The fish looks great Eric ....looks raw to these old eyes, but great...I still haven't eaten cold smoked, (which is kinda weird, cause I have eaten raw salmon @ a sushi place in San Diego)...I gotta do the lox one-o-these-days and yours is as tempting as I've seen  ;)