Chicken Question

Started by chandlersmoking, December 19, 2010, 12:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chandlersmoking

I am smoking a beer butt chicken today.  I have a DBS and set my temp to 300.  Seasoned my chicken and put it in smoker.  It has been in about an hour and the IT temp is 106.  Should I leave the temp the same and wait till IT reaches 170?  Is there such a thing as cooking to quickly?

KevinG

It depends on what you're looking for, you can cook faster and it will turn out just like an oven cooked chicken. If you cook slow, you need a brine and this usually has more of a ham type flavor to it.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

chandlersmoking

Well i seasoned it with a garlic and beer seasoning and put in fridge overnite.  Stuck it on my beer holder with the beer in it.  I am smoking it with cherry wood pucks and I guess I was surprised it heated up that quick.  I guess I was wondering if the smoker would get the IT to spec if it was at 250.

smoker pete

If you cook your chicken at 250º it will reach your desired IT of 170º.  Should take around 3 - 4 hours.  I learned from others on the forum to pull my yardbird out when the thickest part of the breast reaches 165º which means that the legs/thighs would be at 180º.  I also make sure that my vent is wide open.

I have an OBS but will a DBS reach 300º?

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

chandlersmoking

yes.  You can set it at 320.  I have it at 300 and the temp is 235 and the bird is up to 136. 

chandlersmoking

So far so good.  IT is 160.  When its done what temp should it cool down to for cutting up. 

chandlersmoking

I am very happy with end product.  Ill post some pics if I can figure it out.

chandlersmoking

chandlersmoking

Keymaster

Good looking Yard bird !!! how did you like the flavor?

TestRocket

That's a pretty bird you got there! It looks to me you got it figured out. Congrats! Oh and that shinny inside glare will go away soon! Haha!  ;D

smoker pete

Where did you get that slick looking Beer Butt chicken holder?  Never seen one like that.  Looks like a nice toy tool to have  ;D

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

chandlersmoking

I got that from Cabelas.  Works great.  The flavor was pretty good.