Smoking a Pre-Cooked Ham

Started by johnk5555, December 13, 2010, 10:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnk5555

Long story short my dad is doing a total untraditional christmas day dinner so my wife and I wanted to do a ham for christmas eve dinner. Has anyone smoked a Costco ham before? It is the one warapped in red foil, I think it is pre cooked.  HELP!!!!

Habanero Smoker

You can use the method in the following post. If you don't want to use the T-shirt you can skip that step, but I think it is unique and it does serve a purpose. Also just think about the conversation you can have. Just note that the preparation takes several days:
T-Shirt Double Smoked Ham

With fully cooked hams, others have just placed the ham in 200°F - 225°F smoker, and applied four hours of smoke, then moved them to the oven or kept them in the smoker until they reached an internal temperature of 140°F. If you want to add a glaze to a ham that has been fully cooked in the smoker, I just recently saw a show that demonstrated how one company adds a glaze to their fully cooked ham. They would apply a glaze and use a torch to caramelize it; being careful not to burn the sugars. They would repeat this step in layers until the had a nice thick glaze. If you are going to attempt this I would practice glazing a chicken first, you don't want your first experiment to be your ham.

I'm not familiar with the ham you are referring to, but if it is packed in a brine, make sure you pat it dry prior to placing it in the smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

johnk5555

Got the ham today. It is a pre-cooked hickory smoked ham spiral sliced.

Instructions say:
275 deg oven flat/face side down. cover with foil, 12-15min per pound
Remove increase to 425 deg, glaze and back in oven for 8-10 minutes.

The ham in 9lbs. I ws thinking 3-4 hours @ 225 degrees? Smoke for 2 hours with a mix of hickor and apple. Not sure if I will use glaze or not?

Thoughts?

PS: Did my second batch of ribs today. Better than the first. Our local farmers market has a "pepper" guy and he had a jalpeno spice rub that I used!

Habanero Smoker

Just my thoughts: with a spiral ham after applying the smoke I would foil it - maybe apply a glaze prior to foiling. With a spiral ham, I would be concerned with too much loss in moisture. How ever long you cook it you should bring it up to an internal temperature of 140°F. Finish with a glaze in the preheated 425°F oven does sounds good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

squirtthecat

I agree with Habs.  I did a spiral sliced ham in my Traeger, and it did dry out a bit.