kind of dry sausage?

Started by watchdog56, December 14, 2010, 03:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

I made some venison summer sausage and it came out ok but a little dry. It was not the crumbly dry but a pasty dry taste. Does anyone have any idea why? I have cut back on the soy protein to 3/4 cup instead of 1 cup but it still seems a little dry to me.
I made a 5# batch and here is my method;
Dec 11 2010 made venison summer sausage. Outside temp 15. mixed up night before and put in casings
then in frig. Recipe was;
4 lbs venison
1 1/2 ground pork
5 tsp kosher salt
2 Tbsp powdered dextrose
1/2 tsp white pepper
2 tsp ground coriander
1 Tbsp ground black peppercorns
2 1/2 Tbsp whole mustard seed
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp thyme leaves
1/2 tsp ground clove
3/4 cup soy protein concentrate
3/4 cup cold distilled water
1 tsp cure #1
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
Took out of frig and let get to room temp. Preheated smoke to 150 then turned down to 120 for 40
minutes then up to 150 for 2 hours of oak smoke then to 160 for 2 hours then 170 until IT hit 152.
Took out and let air cool.Took 5 hours Came out better than last time but could still use  a little
something? Use ice bath method next time.Seemed a little dry-pasty texture,not crumbly though.

Tenpoint5

I would try a 3pound 2 pound ratio the venison may be whats drying out on you because it is so lean and giving you the dry taste
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

I'm with 10.5

I haven't made venison sausage yet, but when I had it processed I had

it made 60/40 and was not dry.

Sailor

I don't see anything wrong with the ingredients however you might still cut the soy concentrate back to perhaps 1/2 cup.  I think 10.5 has you covered with the fat content.  Sounds like you need a bit more fat in dat  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

watchdog56

OK will try next time Thanks. Probably won't be until after the holidays though.

OU812

Just my 2 cents but soy protein also helps retain moisture.

I would start with adding more fat first.

Keep the fat to at least 20% total green weight

Just throwing this out there.

smokeitall

My last summer sausage batch I did with a 60/40 ratio Venison to Pork Butt and it came out much better than the last time when I did a 75/25.  Hope your next batch turns out perfect.
SIA