Cheese Smokies

Started by Piker, December 07, 2010, 02:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piker

What does everyone use for a basic recipe for cheese smokies. There does not seem to be a recipe for them alone. I was thinking of bratwurst or would any work? thks Piker

Piker

Since no one answered I made the basic summer sausage mix and put in 1 lb. of pepperjack cheese. I also added liquid smoke to the mix as the weather here is not conducive to smoking. Then I did them in the oven at 160f until an i.t. of 152f. They were the best tasting cooked sausage I ever made. Piker

Tenpoint5

I missed this on Piker. was you making little smokies/Cocktail franks or snack stix size? I have been having some really good luck with the AC Leggs snack sticks #116 blend. The kids love them I can't keep them in the house.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Here is one i use.
Makes 6 lbs

1 lb american or cheddar cheese
3 lbs lean beef. If using venison use 4lbs
1 lb beef fat (i save brisket trim for this)
1 lb pork butt.
1.5 tsp liquid smoke (opt) but taste better
Just slightly less than 1 tsp cure #1
3 Tbs non iodized salt (i dont use kosher in my sausage) Why? You dont get the taste your looking for. But if you like kosher use it.
1 1/4 Tbs white pepper
1 1/4 Tbs black pepper
1 1/4 Tbs ground mustard seed
2 Tbs garlic granules
1/4 cup dextrose powder
3/4 cup cold distilled water
2/3 cup non fat dry milk
sheep casings or 17-19mm collagen

The day before dice or cube the cheese. Freeze overnight

Next day

Grind meat through fine plate 1 time. Add the dry to the water and mix well into meat (dont add cheese yet) After the seasoned liquid is incorporated into the meat add the frozen cheese. NOTE: You can use hi temp but regular cheese will save you some $

Stuff meat mix into your choice of casing. Tie into links of your desired length and fridge overnight.

Next day

Bring sticks to room temp to help dry the casings.

Hang or rack the smokies at 130* for an hour no smoke.
Smoke (with your choice) at 140* for 2 hours. Rotate racks or smoke rods. Front to back top to bottom, You know  ;D
Heat now should go to 150* for 2 hours.....Check IT and the end of this time. If not done or stalled continue.
To 165* for 2 hours. Check IT again and do another rotation if you want. If not close or at IT continue
To 170* For 2 more hours, keep checking IT....Your looking for 152-155* IT
If needed bump to 175*

Dont worry if you pull at 149-150* Dont rinse just hang. The IT will bring them up.

Piker

Thanks for the replies. Nepas recipe l;ooks very good I will try it later. What is the difference between kosher salt and non-iodized and sea salt? I thought they were basically the same. Thks Piker

Caneyscud

Kosher salt = bigger grind of refined rock salt.  more correct name would be koshering salt - does not mean that it conforms to the Jewish dietary laws - usually no additives

non-iodized = table salt (smaller ground) without the addition of iodine and usually refined rock salt

sea salt = is a product of evaporation of saltwater.  crystal size varies.  I have seen it iodized, but not usually.  Has nuances of flavor depending on where produced and what saltwater was used.  Can be different colors.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Piker

Now I see the difference. I have been using fine ground sea salt with no additives. Since salt is not good for me I keep  using smaller and smaller amts. until I can notice a difference. I am down to less than half what recipe calls for and have not noticed any difference yet. I also tend to stay away from premixes as they are too salty. Thks Piker