please ,tell me about pids

Started by howlin, December 15, 2010, 09:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

howlin

i have no idea what those are and applications ,i need wisdom here ,thanks yall
if cows didn't taste so good ,they would be extinct

KevinG

It's a controller for your temperature. It works similar to the Bradley Digital model, but has a tighter temperature swing.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

howlin

my smokers heat element wont go below 100f ,would a pid make it work at around 70?
if cows didn't taste so good ,they would be extinct

classicrockgriller

I cold smoke cheese last nite with dual elements/PID/cold smoke adapter at 85*.

SoCalBuilder

Not sure if there is a minimum the temperature range. The pid basically cycles the heater on and off. I would think to get that low, you would have to isolate the smoke generator unless it is extremely cold outside. I'd check that Auber site and see if they mention any minimums.

GusRobin

Quote from: howlin on December 16, 2010, 11:02:59 AM
my smokers heat element wont go below 100f ,would a pid make it work at around 70?

I doubt it. The smoke generator alone would probably make it that high. You either need to prop the door open, put a pan of ice, or use a cold smoke adaptor (doesn't have to be the Bradley, people have made their own).
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TMB

Quote from: GusRobin on December 16, 2010, 12:52:27 PM
Quote from: howlin on December 16, 2010, 11:02:59 AM

I doubt it. The smoke generator alone would probably make it that high. You either need to prop the door open, put a pan of ice, or use a cold smoke adaptor (doesn't have to be the Bradley, people have made their own).
The cheese, nuts and spuds I did was running around 80 to 90 with the smoke generator only running. My unit was outside in the cold and still would hit 90's with just the smoke generator on, so I had to play with the door to regulate the heat 
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

pensrock

If you can eliminate the heat from the puck burner by using a cold smoke setup or another means to generate smoke and no heat then yes your PID can control the temp below 100 F. I do it all the time. Now my PID is not an Auber like most here have but is an industrial Honeywell temperature controller, but they mainly work the same.