T-Shirt A Cookin

Started by Oldman, March 28, 2004, 03:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Well I'm into the 4th hour of smoken two butts! Ever noticed how nice the color of a store bought smoked piece of meat is? That rich golden brown. Not the dark brown we see when we do our own smoken.

Well I got my butts inside a old white cotton T-shirt. Just pulled them out and turn them upside down. The bottoms are that good looking color. The tops were white gray.

Next the T-shirt is now wet, and this alone adds more smoke flavor then then direct smoke. Once it hits 170 F in the center I will remove them and then place just the T-Shirt in a Zip lock bag, so the T-shirt doesn't dry out. Once the butts are room temp. I will wrap the T-shirt back around them and then wrap the whole deal up in plastic. Then place them in the Frig.

You should smell my hands from the liquid. Wonderfully sweet smoked flavor.

Ya I know I don't do things the normal way LOL!! Cooking at 191 F.

I will post pic once it is done--Ta Da!
Olds

EDIT: I will recycle the T-Shirt! Just wash it with the rugs~~! It will be good to go again.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Oldman

10.5 hours later @ 171 F I pulled the butts. The reason I have not taken them to a full 180 F is later today @4 pm we will be eating one. This allows me to heat/cook the meat to 180 without drying it out.

Below is a pic and you can see where I have sliced a sample off...
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Oldman

Now make sure to bring lots of beer!

snapper39

Olds your an evil man !!!  I have not been on the forum for over a week, as we moved and it took a little longer than expected to get internet access. I am still about 1-2 weeks until I have my system fully set up and ready to smoke and here you are posting these amazing pics. Its like having 99 cents when the meal cost a dollar!!
Man they look good. Do you use a vinegar sauce on top or a sloppy one.  WOW
Snapper

Oldman

Snapper,

Evil uh? LOL! Just wait till you see a cross cut of my sauage! Then it will be suffer baby suffer. Heh he he!

Let me share this with ya. I seldom dry or wet brine my butts. Now I just place one of these is in my storage fridge. It is a fridge for storage and stays at 33-35 F. It is not our everyday fridge. Originally, I purchased this storage fridge to allow me to age my prime rib. That is another story in itself. I will take pics the next time I do a prime rib and explain how to turn the meat into a purple color before you cook it. It will be so tender you will cut it using a butter knife.

Now back to the butts. How I will finish cooking them is in an oven @325-350 F. They will be tightly wrapped in foil. Once the meat at center is 180-185 F. They are ready to eat.

Now the one in the fridge by next week Saturday  I will take it out in the morning and allow it to warm to room temperature. Allowing it to warm to room temperature is very important to insure that your butt does not dry out when you finish the  heat/cooking. Believe it or not the second one will taste better than this first one by a factor of 2 at least. These days in the storage fridge allow for a mellowing of the smoke and gives the flavor more time to permeate the meat.

BTW the wet look on the meat in these pictures is all natural jucies. See the moisture in the area I cut to sample! T-Shirt-Smoken~~~! Just can't beat it.
Olds

EDIT: <b>Do you use a vinegar sauce on top or a sloppy one?</b> I don't know what a vinegar sauce is or what you mean by a sloppy one. Please advise....thanks

Fuzzybear

They look great DOW!!![:p]

Someone will have to have a large "Q" in central USA for a get together!  20-30 Bradleys all smoking something different!!  Where'd that beer go?[;)]

What temp did you cook them at?  How much smoke/type?[?]

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Oldman

8 hours @ 190 F. 2.5 hours @ 225 F. I mixed the pucks that came free with my BS. Remember this meat is not completely cooked yet.

The trick is the T-Shirt, or you can use cheeze cloth. Just remember to turn them over at 4-5 hours (turn them upside down.) If you are using a dry smoker then you can use white paper towels and pin them to the meat. One layer only.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fuzzybear</i>
<br />Someone will have to have a large "Q" in central USA for a get together!  20-30 Bradleys all smoking something different!!  Where'd that beer go?[;)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">May 29th, Coke lot, just outside the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, firin' up about 5 of them. 250# of assorted goodies, all parties welcome![8D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

trout

Olds, you're right, your smoked pork looks just like the smoked picnics that they sell in our suppermarket.  They are a popular item.  I had not tried to replicate that in my smoker yet.  I usually do my pork butt with a spicy rub and no covering.  I like the spicy bark that forms on the blackened butt when done.  You get a little "bark" in every "bite" (no pun intended) after you shred it.  How long does it take at 350F to reheat your pork to doneness[?]?

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.

Oldman

The smaller one today took about 70 minutes or so. (It was room temp when we put it into the oven.)