Cold smoking venison/pork ring sausage

Started by .204, December 16, 2010, 03:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is the proper way to cold smoke sausage without fully cooking it? We use premixed sausage mix(with cure in it) and want to hang it in our Bradley 6 rack Digital and acheive a light smoke(mom doesn't like a heavy smoke) and dry the sausage a little for easier vac sealing.  We always fully cook the sausage out of the freezer by boiling or grilling.  How long would you apply smoke to achieve a light smoke with out applying heat.  We would be freezing it immediatley after we smoke it.  Thanks for any advice in advance. This is my first crack at cold smoking.

unclebuck

Don't use the main heat element, just the smoke generator.  It has worked for me.
what can't be smoked can't be eaten

Tenpoint5

Having not done this myself I can only guess. Since you have the cure in it. You should be safe with the temps. I would hit it with 2 hours of smoke. Since Mother doesn't like a strong smoke flavor I would use Apple or Maple pucks as they are a lighter smoke flavor.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Father Tom

With weather like the country is having it should be no problem.  Do not use the units heating element.  Use only the puck hot plate.  2 hours of apple, cherry etc, should do the trick.  You want interior temp about 70/90 degrees durning smoking.

Sounds like a fantastic sausage
Father Tom ;D ;D ;D ;D

pensrock

Guys at work smoke their venison sausage below 100 F for about four hours.
They have been doing this for years, must be ok.