Boston Butt End Cure

Started by SamuelG, December 16, 2010, 05:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamuelG

The idea behind this is to have a cured cut of meat with some fat in it, not like the lomo which is very lean.  Since I could not get a coppa cut, I used the end of a Boston Butt.  I went with more salt than I did on my lomo because of the size and I did want a little more salt.  This is my first time using a casing, lets see how it turns out.

Boston Butt End: 1207g
Salt: 67g (5.5%)
Brown Sugar 14g (1.1%)
Paprika 17g (1.4%)
Black Pepper 6g (0.5%)
Cure #2 3.2g ( 0.27%)

Into cure on 11/28/2010.

Although it was very firm before the due date which was today, I decided to keep it longer just in case.

Getting them into the casing...well lets just say it took a very long time!  Tied them up and into the smoker then went.  Smoked them with Hickory , but it seems to me that these casings are not allowing the smoke to get into the meat.   They should be out around 10 PM for a total of 10 hours with the temperature always below 70F.

SamuelG

SamuelG

SamuelG

Thanks. 
SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

SouthernSmoked

I have one comment ................ WOW!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

squirtthecat

Yeah, wow indeed!

Did you cure them in your 'dry' cabinet, or in the fridge in the foodsaver bag?

SamuelG

It was cured in the bottom of the fridge.

Just came out of the smoker.

Into the drying cabinet.

SamuelG

SamuelG

SamuelG

Weight loss 26% and 23% with the casing almost separated completely.

SamuelG

SamuelG

NePaSmoKer

That is very nice.

Looks like synthetic casings?

Try protein lined next go. Sticks to the meat.

Is that salt in the container or PG Beads (propylene glycol) for the R/H in a wine cabinet.

Again, very nice

SamuelG

Nepas,

I have salt in the bottom in the tray, but what has worked the best is the Eva-Dry.  I have been trying to keep the RH under 70% in the small wine fridge and it takes both to do so.

http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry-Renewable-EDV-300-Wireless-Dehumidifer/dp/B000H0XFCS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1294176095&sr=8-2

It tends to drop the average RH by 2-4% from what I've seen.  The casings are LEM Fibrous Casings, but they do not say anything about protein lined.  I guess I'm stuck with the entire bag.   :-[  One thing I did wrong is not soak them in water.

SamuelG
SamuelG

SamuelG

Sorry too busy eating, I'll post the numbers later!  :-)

Thanks. 
SamuelG

SamuelG

FLBentRider

Wow.

How was the texture?

Was it chewy?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

kinyo

Really nice!

How was the taste? Would you do it again?

muebe

Man the stuff you guys do on this forum is very impressive! I never realized how much of a process it is to cure meat :o That looks like it turned out great ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

jiggerjams

That does look good!!.

What temp do you keep the fridge at and what is your experience with the eva dry dehumidifier? Is it all that is needed or would you look at getting an upgrade?

Thanks,
JJ

SamuelG

Quote from: FLBentRider on January 14, 2011, 03:04:39 PM
Wow.

How was the texture?

Was it chewy?

FLBR,

It was very smooth and silky not dry at all.  The fat in the center of the cut was delicious.... JUST OUTRAGEOUS!  I would use less paprika next time, maybe half. No sugar as I think it takes away from the "meat" flavor and less cure time.  Probably the same time i used on the lomo.

Quote from: jiggerjams on January 18, 2011, 01:10:24 PM
That does look good!!.

What temp do you keep the fridge at and what is your experience with the eva dry dehumidifier? Is it all that is needed or would you look at getting an upgrade?

Thanks,
JJ

jiggerjams,

Don't tempt me on a new curring chamber....  ;D ;D ;D....Already have one in the works, but that will be another post.  The size is perfect for about 3-5 cured pieces or large sausages at the same time, but humidity is sometimes high.  But you can obtain outstanding results.

Among other things, my next unit will have a humidifier, dehumidifier, timer controlled fans...I'll post it when its almost done...have a while to go.

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread, as it encourages me to try new things. :)

SamuelG
SamuelG