should I stick a needle in my butt?

Started by jimmyb, December 15, 2010, 09:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyb

I have done a few butts in the OBS for pulling and they came out very good. I have never injected them with anything but have seen that some have. I am thinking of trying injecting a 7.5# butt this weekend and rubbing before smoking. I don't see anything in any of the recipes for this. So my questions are:

1. Should I inject the butt?
2. What should I inject it with? (I do not have CT)
3. How much should I inject it with?

classicrockgriller

You can take some the rub you are going to use and add melted butter and inject it.

I like to use Tony Chachere's creole butter marinade or

Cajun Injectors marinades.

OU812

Like CRG has stated, use your run but run the rub through a spice/coffee grinder first. That way it wont clog your needle.

Try 1/2 cup of your rub to 1/2 cup melted butter.

Use your imagination.

And the other suggestions CRG has stated are good if you dont want to make your own

KyNola

Jimmy,
Some of us have smoked bologna, spam, party mix, chocolate and marshmallow peeps but that doesn't necesarily mean it's the right thing to do. :D  What I'm saying is if you want to inject the butt, go right ahead but you don't have to.  CRG gave you some good info about what you could inject it with and as CRG says "You can't hurt it.  It's dead."

Have fun with it and I'm surprised that CRG didn't tell you to give that butt a slap before you put it in the smoker.  I think that's part of his smoking ritual too! ;D

jimmyb

Been reading alot about Big Bob Gibson's pulled pork recipe. It has an injection marinade as follows:

The injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt finely ground
2 tablespoons Worcestershire

Anyone try this? Any advantage to this over a butter marinade? I know it's a matter of preference but wondering what the differences are in these two types of injection marinades.

OU812

Go for it.

I'd leave the water out, but thats just me.

Make it how you want it.

classicrockgriller

When you BUY that piece of meat it becomes yours!

You can do anything you want to to it.

That's what is fun!

Of all the Butts I have slapped/smoked, they ALL tasted great!

kinyo

Usually I apply the rub 24h before smoking the butt. If I want to inject it, should I do it at the same time of applying the rub of just before smoking it?

jimmyb

I was going to inject it at the same time I apply the rub. I will wait for the experts to join in but I'm pretty sure this is the time to do it

OU812

I inject before the rub, let sit and all the injected over spill run off then rub down.

SouthernSmoked

Hello JB

I use the same method that you are asking about - the same injections solution.

Here is the way I typical will do the pulled pork.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17649.0

If you scroll down you will see that I apply the rub and then wrap the butt before injecting to help hold the injections solution inside the meat.

Hope this helps!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

TestRocket

I re-read the thread of SS and can only hope to remember to give it a try on my next pork butt. But right now my brain is sort of side tracked of the thought of CRG slapping "Butts"!  ;)  ;D  ???

ronbeaux

Tip:

Take some of your rub and buzz it in the spice grinder. Then mix with a juice of your choice and inject away! No clogged needles and taste inside and out.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

Sorce

The best part of experimenting with these different ideas is the generally taste good either way and you get to eat the results. Just note and compare and enjoy the good eats while figuring out which is "more gooder", I've found in my short smoking experience that it's hard to scew up a butt (I know there is an inappropriate response to that statement). One of my next experiments will be slightly curing ribs before cooking them. I think that's my favorite part of having the bradley is trying different things and seeing what the result is.

Indy Smoker

I always like to experiment too.  So what the hay. . .go for it!! 
I haven't injected any of my butts in the past, but it could give yet another different flavor.

Maybe you could smoke 2 and do a compare on the end results.
Be sure to let us know how it turned out vs not injecting.