CT and Jans Rubb Butt

Started by KevinG, December 17, 2010, 01:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinG

I've been threatening to do this, and now the time has come to smoke some butt. Getting things ready now and here's how it went.

Started with a 7.2lb Pork Butt

Got some magical ingredients:
The ever popular Carolina Treet

And of course every body's favorite Jans Rub

Started some CT injection - one word of caution: Always cover whatever you're injecting, I found out the hard way that injection likes to shoot out like a water wiggle.

After the injection, I did a little slather with some CT

Finally I piled on some of Jans Rub, kinda like playing in wet sand here but it was fun. Should of brought out some buckets to make some castles.

Now for the wait. I'll be popping this in the Bradley with 4 hours of hickory probably around 6 or 6:30 tonight. We'll get some smokey pics up here then.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Tenpoint5

Looks like everything good is coming together
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

DTAggie

TestRocket

Impressive injector and I'm sure the butt will be good!   ;D

OldHickory

Looks good Kevin, hope all goes well overnight.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

KevinG

I pulled the butt out at 5:00 P.M. and got the smoker ready setting the temp at 280° F. At 6:00 P.M. the smoker was reading 220° and smoke just started rolling so I put the butt in. After an hour, the IT is 30° F and the smoker is running at 200° F. I slathered a little more sauce on.

jimmyb

I'm right there with ya tonight. I have two butts in the smoker that went in around 7:00 PM. Cold out tonight and now at 10:30 the cabinet temp is only around 185. I figure with the outside temps so low and 15# of meat in there it will take some time. I also injected these two butts for the first time. Good luck with yours and I'll post the results of mine as well.

KevinG

Looks like I got an hour jump on you. It'll be a long night.

JF7FSU

What kind of injector is that?
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

DTAggie

It's a super duper butt injector

jimmyb

ok, looking for an update from you to compare. I'm at 13 hrs in the smoker with two butts (7.3# and 7.8#). Temp in the smoker only found its way to about 195 all night. I'm kind of surprised that one butt has an IT of 164* and one is at 145*. You just can't tell what a butt will do. I thought the IT would be much less because of the low cabinet temps.

So let us know where you are at so we can compare the differences in our butts

Sailor

I like big butts and I can not lie  ;D  Now you will have that tune in your head for the rest of the day.   Looking good.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

KevinG

The injector is a SpitJack Magnum Meat Injector Gun, I bought all 3 needles for it. The thing is awesome.

Now backing into the butt

At 8:00 A.M. the cabinet temp was running at 237° F and the IT was 170° F. I looked outside and found a slight problem.

What are the odds - rain in Arizona on my smoke day  >:(

So I donned my raingear and will tough it out.

wyoduke

Rain wow its 3 degrees in Wyoming must be liven right.
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

KevinG

Woo Hoo! 11:55 A.M. and this is what I got.

Opened the door and lookie here, can anybody say arf arf?

Wrapped it up like a tin man.

And going to do some FTM for about an hour.