CT and Jans Rubb Butt

Started by KevinG, December 17, 2010, 01:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!  Great looking butt Kevin, the one in the smoker, not yours. ;) 

KevinG

You just haven't seen a real good closeup to compare my butt lol

So the hour of waiting has finally subsided and I pulled the towel and foil off then tried to pick up the butt. Guess what happened.

After a few minutes of playing with my Bear Paws I ended up with this.

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

jimmyb

Looks great! I got my first butt up to 190* at about 3:30 PM. The second one I pulled at 4:30 at about 185* which is what some people pull theirs at. I would like to have gone to 190* on both but no more time. I am FTCing for about an hour and will pull. I am also making a vaunted vinegar sauce to throw it in. Looks like we both have some good eats for tonight!

wyoduke

1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

DTAggie

bears fan

I'm curious if the CT injection made a big difference in the taste or the moistness of the meat.  I was going to try the same set up on my next butt I do, so I would like to find out if it is worth the effort of injection or not.

KevinG

Don't think it made it any more moist, but I do believe it changed the taste. I noticed it's a little too much now for my tastes, but it's still edible.

deb415611

Sailor

Nice looking butt Kevin.  Kinda curious about the butt.  I see that it is a "Moist and Tender" and wonder if it had been pre-injected at the packer and if so would that give it a different flavor from what your injection would have given a butt that was not pre-injected?  Just kinda wondering.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

KevinG

Good question Sailor. I'm not sure if that means it was injected or not. Unfortunately I threw out the package and I don't think I can see enough from the pic to tell for sure. I'm guessing if it was pre-injected that it would make a difference.

hal4uk

Kev...  I'm not sure...
But maybe CT shouldn't be injected (?)
It's actually a "cooking sauce", and it has flour in it. 
I think it does its magic on the outside of meat (well, I know it's good on the outside).

But then, on the other hand, etouffee and gumbo are fine eats, and flour is all through it.
Just could be a different kinda thing inside of meat (?)

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KevinG

I think 190° F IT would be enough to cook it, but I could be wrong. It wasn't bad, just a little too much CT tasting and not enough meat taste.

johnk5555

What was the total time? How long was smoke applied?

jiggerjams

Nice Pictorial Kevin G.

I really have no idea and I am just typing out loud.. do you think that because CT is a sauce and has flour in it that it is made to be used on the outside of the meat only?

I think, not sure, that the flour in a traditional gumbo or jambalaya is not injected. Meat is dusted and seared in flour, other aromatic ingreadients such as but not restricted to green pepper, onion, celery, and tyme are added to create a flavor base. At this point the flour would extend to the other ingredients via stirring. Liquid (such as broth) and tomatoes would then be added and bring to a boil, then turn the temperaure to low and let simmer for a period of time. This is when the flour will do it's magic. The flour will not only thicken the liquid but assist in combining the flavors also.

I have only made jambalaya about 5 times and I live in Ontario. This is why I say I am not sure about what I just shared. Maybe someone else can share their thoughts.

Hats off to you for being an explorer!!

JJ

KevinG

Quote from: johnk5555 on December 19, 2010, 09:22:17 PM
What was the total time? How long was smoke applied?

I only applied smoke for the first 4 hours, the total cook time including smoke was from 6:00 P.M. to 11:55 A.M. so a total of 17 hours and 55 minutes.