How long will frozen smoked meat last in the freezer?

Started by smoker pete, December 17, 2010, 02:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker pete

This may seem like a strange question but I don't normally freeze smoked meat.  We usually have our meal, give some away, graze on some for a day or two and often wind up wasting the rest.  Now I'm wanting to reduce the waste and have a stash of goodies in the freezer for variety and some quick and dirty meals.

For example - I smoked a stuffed 4 lb Pork Loin yesterday and we enjoyed a nice meal, set some aside for grazing  ;D and vacuum sealed the other half.  So, how long might that last in the freezer?

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

KevinG

Most of my food is eaten before too long so freezing rarely comes about. But when I make sausage, I freeze for 6 months after smoking.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

SoCalBuilder

Pete - Thanks for asking the question and I look forward to the answers. I HAVE to smoke something every weekend whether we need it or not, so I can see building up a bit of reserve rather quickly.

Randy

smoker pete

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on December 17, 2010, 02:39:15 PM
I HAVE to smoke something every weekend whether we need it or not, so I can see building up a bit of reserve rather quickly.

I can empathize with your growing smoking addiction Randy ;)  :'(  Now that I have modified my OBS with a second element, bought an SRG, Grinder, and Stuffer I'm afraid there's little hope left for me!!  The next thing you know I'll be getting me a Traeger, or a MAK  ;D ;D

watchdog56

I have smoked pork butts and put in vac bag in freezer. Pulled out 8 months later and warmed up in boiling water in bag and it was still excellent and moist.

Up In Smoke

I have to freeze often, have pulled pork that has been in the freezer about 10 months and still good.
vac sealing will help extend the life of frozen food quite well.
the only 2 things that come to mind for me at this moment is what is the food stuffed with and
the thawing method.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

smoker pete

Quote from: Up In Smoke on December 17, 2010, 04:09:22 PM
the only 2 things that come to mind for me at this moment is what is the food stuffed with and the thawing method.

I initially sauteed onions, celery, and mushrooms then mixed up fresh spinach and chunks of smoked Swiss cheese.  So all in all, when I pulled the smoked stuffed pork loin from the OBS everything was well cooked.  I reckon it's the same as anything called "Florentine" which you can find in any frozen section of your grocery store.  As far as the thawing method I figured I would let it sit in the fridge for a couple of 2 to 3 days ... that should do the trick!?

Here's another example/question: going to smoke then SRG a yard bird in a couple of days and the wife and I will only eat half that bird.  I would like to take the other half, let it cool down, vacuum seal it, and freeze it for future munching.  Anyone see any issues with doing that?

I figure that this way I can smoke to my hearts content, eat like a king, and have a ready supply of smoked meats to share and enjoy later  ;D

Up In Smoke

Sounds like you have everything dialed in pretty well.
Looks like you are fixin to do some serious smoking.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

tues6694

Smoker Pete,
      I have frozen alot of smoked meat and smoked onions in the vac seal bage, they will last you a long time in the freezer,Either freeze the meat first on a cookie sheet then seal in bags or if cooked,  put meat in bags, put a paper towel over the meat at the open end of the bag against the meat so when you go to seal the bag the juices from the meat will not go threw the opening before it is sealed and  possibly damage the machine.