Bacon and Potato Soup

Started by Tenpoint5, December 17, 2010, 05:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Or  What to do with your ends and pieces when slicing Bacon. Well you save them and then you make soup!! This started as a Ham and Potato Soup that I converted to my liking. I will post the recipe again at the end as this turned into a step by step somehow. I shouldn't forget it.

You start by cutting your ends and pieces into nice little chunks.

Get you some celery and slice it into small pieces

Dice a 1/4 of a baseball sized onion

Then you start frying the Bacon to get some of the fats to render out. Don't cook it all the way!!

Peel you some Taters

Then make them look like this.

Throw everybody into the swimming pool with 6 cups of water

Bring to a boil and simmer under the watchful eye of a Chefs Aid approx 10-15 minutes

After about 10 minutes Melt 5 Tbsp of butter and mix in 5 Tbsp of flour. Stir constantly and cook until thick About 1 min.

Start slowly adding 2 cups of Milk to the flour mix, stir to ensure NO lumps and continue cooking until thick.

Add 2 cloves of garlic smashed and chopped fine to the swimming pool along with Salt, Pepper and Chicken Bouillon and let simmer while stirring the milk mixture

Once Milk mixture has thickened add to the swimming pool. Sample a small amount and add Salt and Pepper as desired.

Once heated through place in a bowl, add some buttered bread on the side.

Get proper approval from the Chef's Aid.

Make final adjustments as needed Hot Sauce is always needed in Tater Soup, Enjoy your meal!!

As mentioned here is the recipe I started with. I'm not real good at following recipes to the T.

Ham and Potato Soup
Ingredients
•   3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
•   1/3 cup diced celery
•   1/3 cup finely chopped onion
•   3/4 cup diced cooked ham
•   3 1/4 cups water
•   2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
•   1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
•   1 teaspoon ground white or black pepper, or to taste
•   5 tablespoons butter
•   5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
•   2 cups milk
Directions
1.   Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.
2.   In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.
3.   Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Tenpoint5

The Chef's Aid had two bowl fulls of this soup!! It was extremely good!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SL2010

That looks good must be nice to have such a good helper if you are in the north you will need that hearty soup this  weekend you guys have a good Christmas

ronbeaux

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

KevinG

Nice - Just don't eat 3 bowls of it lol.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

killer deal.

help and a good meal.

mine like to eat and offer no help.

Smoking Rebel

pensrock

Looks great, I love ham and tater soup. Never made it using milk and a roux before but I will next time. I also add carrots.

ArnieM

I'm not a big soup fan but that DOES look good.  Also a good way to use up some leftover bacon. 
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

BuyLowSellHigh

Oh, I want some of that!

That looks perfect for a cold winter's day.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

KyNola

Heck YEAH!  What's better than bacon and potatoes?

3rensho

That's a masterpiece to be sure.  We make basically an identical version in our neck of the woods.  Kartofflesuppe mit Speck.  Delicious on a snowy day.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

TestRocket

Something warm and hearty on a cold day! Works for me!   ;D

SouthernSmoked

Man Oh Man that looks awesome!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Sailor

Thanks for posting this.  My Mother made tater soup just about the same way and I have not had any for near 30 years.  I reckon that I will have to make up a batch of this real soon.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.