setting on PID

Started by djkost, December 18, 2010, 11:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkost

I just got my PID in the mail today from audbers. It's a dual probe. I have the Bradley digital 4 rack. I have a few question after reading the forums.
1- do I need to turn on my bradley oven to run the smoke generator even if it is not hooked up to the tower?
2- If I want to set the PID to 130 degrees for 2 hours then up the heat to 220 until the IT of the food 185 degrees then shut off.
3- What are the setting I would place in the PID to get the above.
Thanks.

GusRobin

See the tutorial below. In your case you would set CO1 to 130* and EO1 to 2.0 at the time setting. You would set CO2 to 220* and EO2 to 185* at the temp setting.
Again I am not sure how the Digital works with the generator.

I have the OBS so I don't know if it is different than with the Digital, but here is a shot at trying to simplify the directions.
I plug the pid into the outlet, the cabinet and smoke generator into the pid. Now the BDS may be different but once you get the plugs and sensors plugged in the rest should be the same.
(I apologize in advance for the picture quality.)

Turn on the PID. Hit "set" and a CO1 comes up in the left display. This is to set the temp of your cabinet for Cycle 1 of your cook.  Using the "+" "-" buttons you set the right display to display the temp you want for this cycle.
If you look closely you can see the CO1 on the right and a temp of 210 on the right.

Hit "set" again and EO1 displays on the left. Now you will set when cycle 1 will end. In this pic you see the EO1 on the left and a small "t" on the right. It may look more like an upsidedown small "f".

If you want this first cycle to end based on time, hit "set". A "tO1" will appear on the left side and you use the "+" "-" keys to set the time. In this case it is set to 9.2 hrs. So cycle 1 will end in 9.2 hrs. Hit set

If you want the first cycle to end on temp, instead of hitting set when the "t" shows, hit "+" key and a "F" will appear on the right screen. ( so hit "+" or "-" to switch between ending on temp or ending on time.
It you selected to end on temp you see this screen:

Hit "set" and you get a screen with "FO1" on the left and you use the "+" "-" buttons to set the temp. In this case cycle one is set to end at 160F:

Hit set and you get a "CO2" on the left screen (for cycle 2) and set the temp on the right screen using the "+" "-" buttons. Repeat the process that you used for cycle 1. After it is complete, CO3 will show and you set cycle 3. This continues through cycle 6. If you don't want to use all 6 cycles then you still go through the steps and set the values on the right screen to "0".

The smoke generator can be se to run for 2 cycles. They can be consecutive or not.To set when the smoke generator turns on and off, hit the set button and hold for about 4 secs until "LCK" appears.

Using the "+""-" buttons set the right screen to "166" and hit set.

A screen with "P" on the left and "70" on the right appears, hit "set" past screens that say "I" "D" "at" until you get to one that says "r1" on the left.

Use the "+" "-" buttons to set the first cycle to run the generator.  In the pic below it is set to run on cycle 2 . Hit set

A screen with "r2" on the left appears. Using the "+" "-" buttons set the cycle to run the generator for the second time. In this case we set it to run at cycle 3. Then hit set.

In the above case, the generator will run during cycle 2 and 3. If you set r1 to 1 and r2 to 3, it would run during cycle 1, stop when cycle 1 was done, not run during cycle 2, and would start up again and run in cycle 3, stop whe cycle 3 was done. If you just want it to run during a single cycle, set both r1 and r2 to that same cycle number.

You should be all set.
To summarize:
1) Hit set. Set cycle  1 (COI) cabinet temp using "+" "-" buttons. Hit set
2) Set cycle 1 end time (EO1). First decide if you want it to end on temp (F) or (t) using the "+" "-" buttons to switch between them. Hit set
3)The use the "+' "-" buttons to set the time or temp. Hit set.
4) Set the cycle 2 (CO2) cabinet temp. Hit set
5) Set the end of cycle 2 (EO2) repeating steps 2-4
6) repeat steps 2-4 to set cycles 3-6 (put "0" as the values if you don't want to use the cycle)
7) Set the smoke generator start /stop by hitting and holding the "set" button for 4 secs until "LCK" is displayed. Set right screen to "166", hit set.
8) Hit "set" repeatedly until you come to "r1 " on the left screen. Set the cycle number for the first time the smoke generator will run. Hit set
9) Set "r2"  to the cycle that you want the smoke generator to run a second time. If you only want it to run in one cycle, set r1 an r2 to the same value.Hit set.

Hope this helps. Just remember it is so simple it becomes more complicated than it needs to be. Set the cabinet temp, for the cycle (COx - "x" being the cycle), set the end time (EOx) for the cycle; repeat thru the 6 cycles and then set the cycle(s) you want the smoke generator to run( factory default is to run on cycle 1 only)

NOTE: This was modified on 12-18-2010 to correct the setting of the generator. The mod incorporates the corrections discussed later in this thread as pointed out by Toker.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.