SMOKER UP IN SMOKE!!!!!!

Started by utahsmokin, December 19, 2010, 08:36:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Wow That's not cool. Dang good thing it was outside. I have to agree this is the reason I don't like to do overnight cooks and when I am doing them I go a little sleep deprived.

Still trying to match the two pictures up. In the second one there is a flat try with holes in it that I have never seen before but it isn't in the first pic. That is throwing me off some.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

WOW, so happy you had that thing outside.  I'm guessing the pucks stacked in the water pan and grease dripped down on the hot pucks and the fire started.  As the fire gets hotter the fat from the briskets begins to melt and further fueling the fire.

That first pic should be stickied somewhere to serve as a reminder of why you don't want to leave these things unattended for long periods of time no matter where you have it installed.

hal4uk

Quote from: KyNola on December 19, 2010, 10:14:00 AM
That first pic should be stickied somewhere to serve as a reminder of why you don't want to leave these things unattended for long periods of time no matter where you have it installed.
Good point.

Utah, I snagged your images and uploaded them.
It's a shame what happened to ya, but maybe those pics can be "educational" for someone else one of these days.
http://picasaweb.google.com/hal4uk/BradleyFire#
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Sailor

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 19, 2010, 09:56:21 AM
Wow That's not cool. Dang good thing it was outside. I have to agree this is the reason I don't like to do overnight cooks and when I am doing them I go a little sleep deprived.

Still trying to match the two pictures up. In the second one there is a flat try with holes in it that I have never seen before but it isn't in the first pic. That is throwing me off some.

Yep.....I am trying to put my fire fire investigation hat back on and have been comparing the photos and I am a bit confused. Fire pic clearly shows the racks and the after fire pic shows another type of rack on the 2nd from the top.  After fire pic shows no V tray at all.  Fire pick show fire under the v tray with something burning under it.  Thing could have been moved around but the 2 photos are really confusing me.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

utahsmokin

What happened is after the fire was out I removed the two meat trays and i must have moved the v tray to get it out the way while I was trying to figure out what happened so that is the v tray just a weird angle

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Utahsmokin!!!!

howlin

a fire like that takes an accelerant to produce ie it would have to be smothered it a flammable substance,like grease and im talking literally painted on .and with a low o2 invironment such as a closed smoker this looks set up (i speak from experience and training)you got any enemies maybe.sucks about your unit but it looks set up.   
if cows didn't taste so good ,they would be extinct

utahsmokin

I had a peice of foil set over the back half of the grease tray per pachangas suggestion to more evenly distribute heat I wonder if the door temp gauge wasn't accurate and I had more heat then I thought in the box because it never got above 150 I was up with it 8hrs of cook time learn from my mistake never leave unattended or indoors

Utahsmokin!!!!

utahsmokin

I have a pic of it cooking ill post later it was a mix of grease and to much heat I think the smoker was clean before I started only used it twice

Utahsmokin!!!!

icerat4

I dont see a v pan and unlike my video which ive watched 1/2 hour at a time ,No v pan and high heat will do this .Ive had it done to me in the past.This plus last smoke grease in the tray will also do this.Best of luck and try to stay safe.After each smoke all grease and chips need to be disregard and renewed  all grease and pucks period no questions.Never let old oil pucks regenerate to ingnight a flame,B est of Luck.

Just another weekend with the smoker...

icerat4

Its def a grease fire see how high and hard the flames are...Heat element and grease dont mix in theses units.PERIOD ;D

Just another weekend with the smoker...

KevinG

I hate to say it, but on page 2 of the manual it states the following:

• Do not cover or seal the racks or drip tray with aluminum foil. This can cause severe damage to your smoker
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Tenpoint5

Quote from: utahsmokin on December 19, 2010, 12:26:30 PM
I have a pic of it cooking ill post later it was a mix of grease and to much heat I think the smoker was clean before I started only used it twice

Post that poicture of everything in there smoking and maybe we can help figure this whole thing out.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TestRocket

That's terrible! I'm sorry to see your smoker go up in flames like that!

Keymaster

That totally bites !! glad your ok  :)

utahsmokin

Utahsmokin!!!!