SMOKER UP IN SMOKE!!!!!!

Started by utahsmokin, December 19, 2010, 08:36:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

utahsmokin

It started out good ended bad
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Utahsmokin!!!!

GusRobin

I would say that the foil collected too much grease or prevented the proper flow of the grease. It is hard to tell from the angle but it appears that it partially or fully blocked the hole in the V tray. Even if it didn't, the way the foil looks it appears that the grease accumulated on pockets in the foil.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Slamdunk

I can't really tell , but it looks like you had the V-tray below the pan -ie: right on the bottom of the chamber. Is that correct ??

Indy Smoker

What were you smoking that created that much grease ???

KevinG

Quote from: utahsmokin on December 19, 2010, 02:20:08 PM

The V tray is not installed correclty in this photo, also the alumimum foil here is not a good idea at all.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Up In Smoke

Whats wrong with the v tray???
i do not have my glasses on but it looks correct.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

GusRobin

I think the tray is installed correctly. It is the foil that would be my concern.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

watchdog56

I have to agree with Gusrobin, I think the grease built up on the tray and did not drip into pan. ???

Tiny Tim

Looks to me like the grease built up on the foil and went over the back onto the heating element, as well as some going under the drip pan in the bottom of the smoker, under the water bowl.  Once ignited in the lower portion of the smoker, the flames licked at the grease on the V tray, igniting that, causing higher flames to get to the surface fat/grease on the meat in the tower.

By the way, if you want to even out the front to back heat, I'd close up the louvres on the back half of the V-tray, and open 'em up on the front half of it...don't completely close them off, just most of the way.

Sailor

There is still something wrong with this besides the foil on the v tray.  If you look at the photo with the fire you can see there is something below the v tray.  It has flames behind it.  I don't know what this object is.  Can you offer any information as to what was put below the v tray?  I don't know if this is a piece of foil that was put there to guide the grease or what but there is something below the v tray that should not be there.  The fire is burning very hot just above the smoke generator and I note that the SG is in the off position.  

If a piece of foil was propped up under the V tray as well as on top I think we have found the problem.  Just need to know what that object is that is on the right side under the V tray.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

utahsmokin

Sailor I'm not sure what that is probably shadow or glare but there was no other foil.  under the vtray there was nothing but the water pan

Utahsmokin!!!!

car54

I had a grease fire once. I opened the door and the fire started because of the available oxygen. I just closed the door, turned off the heat and closed the damper to starve the fire. It worked and my Bradley was OK. Was it on fire before you opened the door? I think that the foil on the V tray was the cause.

Brad

KyNola

I think a contributing factor is the brisket placement on the racks. Take a look at the pics of the briskets before they go in the Bradley.  Looks like they are hanging over enough that the grease/fat would run down the side and back walls of the Bradley.  Down the back wall puts it straight on the heating element and the fire begins.

The lesson here is clear no matter the cause.  We all need to be careful no matter what we're using to smoke meats.

SouthernSmoked

Hello utahsmokin,

Man I feel your pain... I own two Bradley smokers and have caught both on fire at least once. My first fire was due to me apply BBQ sauce while cooking a butt and it dripped on the heating element and the last two were due to my pucks stacking up and catching fire.

The very first time I caught one of the units on fire I had a 2ft flame coming out of the top. The only thing I could think to do at that time was to grab the glass of water that I was drinking and open the door and throw the water inside. Fire went out and about a 1/2 later I was able to finish my cook. I then went out and a fire extinguisher and had it handy for the last two times.

The worst thing is when you open that door the flame will grow and get out of hand quickly.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

DTAggie

I have used the foil shield on many smokes when doing large loads of meat.  But I always make sure it only covers the back two grates/holes in the shield.  I have had meat pushing the outer limits of the racks like in this smoke.  Looks to me like the problem is the foil loosely over lapping the center hole in the v-tray.