SMOKER UP IN SMOKE!!!!!!

Started by utahsmokin, December 19, 2010, 08:36:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slamdunk

If you look on the right hand side you can see the Vtray pin. The V tray is in the wrong position at the bottom of the chamber.

KevinG

I had to get a better pair of glasses, but the middle pin is supposed to be exposed, the tray sits on the two outer pins with the V pointing down. I stand corrected in that the tray does look like it is in the correct position, but I still am not a big fan of the aluminum foil.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

squirtthecat

Here is an old shot of mine down near the v-tray...   Those pins are indeed exposed.

BuyLowSellHigh

utahsmokin , thanks for sharing this with all of us.  It's very educational and a good reminder.

While it's not totally clear in the before picture, I agree with KevinG - that looks to me like the middle pin and the tray in the correct position.

Sailor, I too was having trouble with the first pics and what was on the bottom that was burning, especially on the right side.  But more careful looking I see the original water bowl shows up on the shelf below the smoker in both pics.  Just a WAG on my part but, I would guess that original water bowl was replaced with a foil pan (Pachanga style) and that it has become crumpled or distorted and that is what appears to be burning or blocking the flame behind it so it shows as a shadow.

One other thing though that looks weird to me is that the delivery rail that ends with the heating pad on the SG seems to be gone from it's normal position.  I wonder if it collapsed into whatever was being used as a water pan?
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

jimmyb

This makes me have second thoughts about bringing the smoker into the garage. I do have it close enough to the garage that this would still be a big problem for me. I am very interested in what could have caused this

beefmann

sorry to see a bradley on fire, and like much others  have stated  clean it clean it  clean it, remove all the grease, and am glad it was only the smoker , thanks for posting, this fire could  have been from the bisquetts or the  heater and i believe it was from the heater. Maybe bradley could redesign there heater cover to help prevent this issue

GusRobin

My 2 cents and rules of safety that I try to do with my Bradley:
1) While you are applying smoke, check to make sure that the pucks aren't stacking up. I have had them stack with either the Bradley supplied bowl or the larger aluminum pan; then I have done the same amount of pucks and they have not stacked. Depends upon how they fall and how much water is left.

2) Always change the water and get rid of the burnt pucks when you are done with the smoking portion of the cook. If it is a long cook, change the water again later. Whether or not the water evaporates, more and more grease is dripping into the pan. At one point it can become mostly grease.

3) Never, ever block the V tray with foil. No matter how many people think they have been successful doing it, it wasn't designed for that. If you feel you must block something, do it on the lowest rack.(I still wouldn't do it as all it does is collect a bunch of grease waiiting for a source of ignition.

4) Make sure meat is not touching the rear of the cabinet. If it is, reposition or cut to fit.

5) Make sure that the V tray hole doesn't clog. Be preventive , whenever you open the cabinet for whatever reason, clear out not only the hole but the channel at the bottom of the "V". Clumps of fat can accumulate and eventually block the hole.

6) Have a fire extinguisher nearby

7) If you do an overnight cook, do 1,2,and 4 before you go to bed. Have a remote thermometer with alarm so you may (or may not) get some type of warning before the heat burns it out.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

utahsmokin

Ok first I'd like to say thanks to Bradley who actually contacted me via email and followed up with a phone call today, I have gathered that the fire was obviously a grease fire, caused by a number of rookie mistakes;
1.  the brisket was two big it was blocking to much air circulation causing the top of the box where the temp gadge and heat sensor is to stay cooler and the bottom to over heat catching the grease on fire
2. The foil on the vtray not only catches grease but also blocks air circulation causing to much heat bellow the vtray.
3. And this is most important! I left it unattended for way to long allowing the fire to melt the door gasket and gain oxygen.
4. And make sure your vtray is clean and don't let the bisketts pile up above the water.

Thanks for the positive comments and I will be getting a new Bradley and trying it again. I've always learned by trial and error and this was a HELL of a learning expeirance. :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Utahsmokin!!!!

Sailor

utahsmokin, you have a positive attitude and I think the entire forum learned or got a refresher course from your mishap.  The main thing is that you are safe and your house is safe.  We can always buy more meat and get another Bradely.  Every time I look at that photo of the fire it gives me the shakes.  May be just the DT's  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

SmokinMoe

Ok, this totally scares me about leaving it overnight even though mine is well away from my house.
Nothing like a picture to leave an impression....
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

OU812

HOLY CRAP!!!!

That sucks, good thing nothing else was damaged.

OldHickory

UtahSmokin, your bad experience with your pics and post has tought us all a leson, as some portion of all this discission has touched us all.  THANKS-  GR your 2 cents and rules of safety are great- THANKS.   
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

Brisket Lover

Glad everyone is safe Utah. I do have my smoker in the garage but I only smoke in the garage for a few hours then I move it inside to the oven. What I did learn from this that I either forgot or didn't know is to ensure the meat isn't touching the walls. I normally keep it on the tray just for sanitary purposes but now I have an even better reason.

slate

Feel your pain,
I have also lost a BOS to fire.