Anyone ever tried this crazy rub?

Started by JF7FSU, December 19, 2010, 07:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JF7FSU

I watched Diners, Dives, and Drive-In's, Kansas City BBQ tour show. He went to a place called the Woodyard BBQ where they used this crazy rub:

Tumeric
Sea Salt
Cardemom
Clove
Granulated Garlic
Lemon Pepper Seasoning

He then smokes it with Pecan for 3 hours.  No mop, no removal of membrane. Everyone loved it.  I would love to try it out but cant figure out the amounts, especially the cardemom which is deadly strong.

Has anyone seen this or have any idea the proportions?  It's tough to see amounts in the video.

http://dinersdrive-insanddives.blogspot.com/2010/07/kansas-city-barbecue-tour-dv0910h.html

Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

DTAggie

Looks like something this forum needs to figure out a clone of

JF7FSU

BuyLowSellHigh

That sure sounds like a middle eastern or Mediterranean concoction.

I looked at the video, and while it's not real clear, my best guess would be his proportions were 1.5 cups of turmeric and lemon pepper, and 1 cup each of the others.  I am judging that by the sizes of the cups he used and how the volumes appeared as he tossed them in -- he appeared to be using a combination of 16 oz and 12 oz foamed polystyrene cups.

That might be a decent starting point using tablespoons rather than cups.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

JF7FSU

Great job BLSH.  I think it may be more India based, because of the cardemom but who knows.  I never seen such a concoction.  Whose gonna try it first?

BuyLowSellHigh

Cardamom transcends many cuisine cultures -- it's widely used in Scandinavian countries as a baking spice and used to flavor coffee in the middle east.  With turmeric and cloves it starts to sound like a good curry base, but then comes the garlic which throws me a bit.  I've seen something similar in what was called a fajita seasoning, but I can't remember where.

edit - a little digging and I think it may be Jewish in origin. It is not to far from several Hawaij spice mixtures significant in Jewish cuisine.  Here are a couple of quick Wikipedia references. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaij

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_the_Mizrahi_Jews#Herbs.2C_spices_and_seasoning_blends

JF7FSU

That wiki does sound related to this concoction, great job.  You are right I have had cardamom in middle eastern coffee before from a person born in Egypt. It was really tasty.  So you gonna be the first lab rat?  I don't have any ribs in stock right now...

Bavind

Everything he is doing in the recipe goes against everthing ive learned about BBQ and smoking. Looks fantastic thought curious to try that ruib if anyone can work out a clone. Ill have to try not removing the silver skin next time I do ribs

BuyLowSellHigh

Quote from: JF7FSU on December 22, 2010, 08:51:21 PM

So you gonna be the first lab rat?  I don't have any ribs in stock right now...

Uh, no.  I'm curious, but not curious enough to put up a rack of ribs for it.

On the ribs, I quit removing the membrane some time ago.  I am convinced that the ribs stay moister with the membrane left on, and if cooked slow and slow the membrane isn't an issue when they're done.  Plus it's easier.