Storing cooked Turkey....

Started by PrairieSailor, January 06, 2011, 10:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrairieSailor

Howdy,

Still really new to smoking, but have been experimenting with small batches and learning.  I've done a couple of small bone-in turkey breasts and now I want to do a 12lbs de-boned turkey.  There are only 2 of us, so the idea is to have 1 "fresh" meal and leftovers sliced into deli meat.  I am wondering how long the meat normally keeps?  Does it last longer if I vacuum seal in smaller batches?

What about freezing?  Could I slice it up and freeze it ok, then thaw and use for sandwiches?

Anyone want to take a stab at how long it it will take to cook on my OBS?  I'm thinking 5-6 hours at least???  I think only 40 minutes of smoke, as my first try was far too smoky for my liking at 60 mins (mind you it is was a 1/4 the size).

squirtthecat

I cook turkey breast roasts and vacseal/freeze in 1 pound bags...   There are just 2 of us as well, and I'll pull a bag out every week or so for sandwiches.    It keeps really well this way.

smoker pete

Welcome to the forum PrairieSailor.

My FoodSaver says that vacuum sealed poultry can last up to 2 years frozen.  Squirtthecat is the turkey/poultry guru and he's right.  No problems.

I, like many others, use ± 2 hours of smoke (pecan, hickory, apple, cherry, special blend, and/or a mixture of flavors) and I have never really had an issue with the turkey being too smoky.  Question is: Did you have the vent fully open when you smoked your bone-in turkey breast?  The vent needs to be open for the moisture to escape but I think it would also get too smoky otherwise.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

PrairieSailor

Thanks for the replies, and the welcome.  I have been a lurker for a few months now.

It's certainly possible about the vent, as it was one of my first attempts.  The bird was very tender but too smoky, and now that I think back it was a bit acrid I guess.  That was probably it.  Maybe I will go a bit longer then.

I was thinking a mix of Maple and Hickory.  Do you normally go put the pucks alternating or each batch after the other?  Or does it matter?

KyNola

PS,
The other guys have got you covered.  Keep that vent wide open, particularly with poultry.  You need the mositure from the poultry to escape quickly.  Poultry holds a lot of moisture.

TestRocket

Welcome PrairieSailor,

I did a 10.5 lb turkey for Christmas and smoked it 6 hours with 2 to 1 (2 apple pucks and then a pecan puck) and it was very good! Good Luck!  ;D