Butterball Boneless Turkey Breast Roast

Started by dubob, December 20, 2010, 11:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubob

I finished my first turkey smoke.  I used a Butterball Boneless Turkey Breast Roast and covered it with some Famous Dave's Chicken rub spices.  I followed the package directions by lifting the net away from the meat before putting it in the smoker and it came off easy when done.  Here is what it looked like out of the smoker.  The thicker dark band on top is the skin that came on the roast.

Here is a shot of the sliced product.

Very good flavor and worth doing again.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 77 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men don't ask permission to bear arms." ― Glen Aldrich
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ― Dr. Seuss

OldHickory

Nice looking roast there dubob.  I have read Butterball turkeys are pre-brined.  Was that true with this breast, and how was the moistness, what cab temp did you use, and what was your finish IT ? 
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

squirtthecat

Nice!   I love doing those little boulder birds..   Sometimes I'll chill one for a day after smoking, and slice real thin for sandwich meat.

dubob

Quote from: OldHickory on December 20, 2010, 12:06:57 PM
Nice looking roast there dubob.  I have read Butterball turkeys are pre-brined.  Was that true with this breast, and how was the moistness, what cab temp did you use, and what was your finish IT ? 
The breast did have a slight saltiness to it.  Smoked for 2 hours at 200 and then bumped to 250 until IT was at 170.  Took about 6 hours total.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ― Dr. Seuss

dubob

Quote from: squirtthecat on December 20, 2010, 12:08:17 PMSometimes I'll chill one for a day after smoking, and slice real thin for sandwich meat.
I did that with the uncut portion you see in the picture.  Dam good sandwich fixens.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

PrairieSailor

How big was that one?  I'm going to try a 12lbs boneless bird this weekend.

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: squirtthecat on December 20, 2010, 12:08:17 PM
Sometimes I'll chill one for a day after smoking, and slice real thin for sandwich meat.

That is the only way I do them now.

Looking good.

Posted using TapaTalk Pro

ADH

got 6 of them in the freezer for later in the year and one in foil for tonight..

Up In Smoke

I love the baby boulders!,
i like to take them out of the netting, do a light rub with the chicken rub, wrap them in a layer of cheese cloth and spritz them with
apple juice. make sure to keep them lightly moistened or it will stick.
smoke them to 165 pull and wrap for an hour.
YYYUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMM
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

SouthernSmoked

Oh, heck yeah! Love me some Turkey Sammie's!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

squirtthecat

Awesome..

I picked up two (not BBall, but the other brand) at WallyMart yesterday.  Might pop them on this weekend.

OU812

I loves me a big ole hunk of smoked turkey breast.

That looks grrrreat!

I totally agree with your signature "Free men do not need to ask permission to bear arms"