Smoking ham - Question

Started by AdamsSC, December 20, 2010, 05:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamsSC

I'm planning on smoking a cured, uncooked (green) ham for Christmas.  Does anyone have a good recipe?  Does it need to be brined since it is cured?  How many hrs? What does the IT need to be?

Any help is appreciated!

AdamsSC

Forgot to mention that I haven't yet bought the ham..would it be easier to get a precooked ham and smoke it?  Do they taste good? You can tell I'm a novice - any help is appreciated!

Habanero Smoker

Adam;

It would be better is you stay with the same post, when you are asking questions on the same subject. I answered part of your question on the other post.

I'm not sure where you live, but uncooked cured hams are difficult to find in my area. You can easily find fresh ham, but if you want to serve smoked cure ham for Christmas, it's to late to cure a fresh ham. Sometimes you may find a partially cooked cured ham, but generally you will only find fully cooked cured hams in the stores. If you want a smoked ham for Christmas your best bet would be to purchase a fully cook ham, and avoid the spiral cut hams.

Raw or partially cooked hams should be cooked to a IT of 152°F, for fully cooked cured hams you only need to bring the IT to 140°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)