Sausage Making A to Z

Started by KevinG, December 22, 2010, 06:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

Nice post. Once you start making your sausage and find a nice recipe you won't be able to make enough. I try to find recipe's from scratch instead of buying a kit.

Caribou

Great sausage making manifesto ;)
Thanks for taking the time to make it for all of us.
Carolyn

jiggerjams

Thanks for the pictorial Kevin. I will be referencing this when I begin the sausage voyage. Great tip on how to deal with a blow out too.

JJ

Alberta Boy

Good job Thanks  :)
I wish I knew about this site 17hrs ago   :(
I just put some Hi Mountain Polish sausage in my Bradley 40minutes ago, hopefully it works ok. The only step I really missed was the casing tap/flushing. I just soaked them for an hour in warm water then proceeded with making 10lbs of sausage.
This was my 1st batch ever so I can learn from it.
Anyways Kevin, Thank-You very much for that great step by step instruction. Top Notch!!!

NePaSmoKer

Habs

This is recipe site material.

Sailor

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 24, 2010, 07:41:17 AM
Habs

This is recipe site material.
I agree or at the least make this a sticky in this topic.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Habanero Smoker

I agree. I haven't fully read it, but it looks very well done. I will start working on it after the New Years.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Scottie's Gourmet Meats

Extremely instructive (is that really a word?) Anyway, great job and those look wonderful!

Scottie
Scottie Gourmet Meats!

KevinG

Ok, for those of you who wanted this back, it's up again. Let me know if I missed something, or if you think I should change something in it.

See you in the funny papers  ;D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: KevinG on January 25, 2011, 07:25:35 PM
Ok, for those of you who wanted this back, it's up again. Let me know if I missed something, or if you think I should change something in it.

See you in the funny papers  ;D

Sonny is evil sausage maker  :D

classicrockgriller

KevinG, Thanks for putting this back up!

It has been requested by alot of people.

Nice of you to do it.

Thanks again!

jiggerjams

Thanks Kevin.

This post is valuable to me.

JJ

mjdeez

Thanks, this is great.

I bought a hank of casings in brine, the kind that supposedly is only good for a month or so.  I had thought I'd be getting a pack of dry salted casings where I could put the unused portion back in salt. ... So are these casings good for 1 month from when you get them, or one month when you crack open the seal on the bag?

Thanks.

KevinG

I always use salted and not brined casings, but from what I've seen they usually are good for 3-4 months, I've even found one that claims 6 months. If you need to keep them longer I recommend the salted ones.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

McSmokin

That was a great right up, do you flip the sausage at any point during smoking?